Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

7 year old cousin had a scary "blank" episode

User Profile
I am very concerned for my 7 year old cousin. We had taken her to a mall for her birthday, we spent maybe 4 hours there. The last place we went was a candy store. We had been in there for maybe ten minutes when she had stopped walking and she stood there looking up. I tried to get her attention and called her name several times. She hadn't responded at all until about one or two minutes later. When she looked at me she was confused and wondered why we had stopped walking. She had done this several more times later that day. It only stopped after she had drunk her pop and eaten a couple hand gulls of candy. I am very concerned for her safety and I fear for her life. Please help me understand what is going on and if she will be ok.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2014
Brain and Head Injuries Answer A46889
Welcome to e health forum.

The history given does not give enough information to provide accurate medical advice.

But, in a healthy young girl, with no prior medical issues, who has had no such recurrences again, it is possible that it could be just a normal lack of concentration or attention to you, while she was in a play mood. Hypoglycemia could also be possible.

But if she had recurrences of altered behavior, episodes of constant staring with memory space-outs, etc she may need to be examined by a doctor to rule out conditions like epilepsy.

I hope this helps

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain and Head Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.