Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

19 year old brother is doing heroin

So my younger brother (19) has recently started doing heroin with some of his friends. they smoke the stuff and he lies to me about it but I know he is because it smells like burnt sugar. Well he finally got caught by one of his friends parents and they notified my dad and things have just been crazy since then. I have two younger brothers 19 and 17 and they live in a single father household who is rarely there because of work and other obligations, so there is little discipline. the 19 year old one started doing it and got the 17 year old doing it. I don't know what to do. they said sorry to my dad and said they'd stop doing it but i don't know if they will. From my experience, people who are on heroin tend to lie in order to keep others off their back. Is it dangerous to quit cold turkey? what should I do? or is there anything i can do? I anxious because these are my little brothers and it would be insane to loose them to a stupid drug. thanks for your help in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
In my experiance the younger someone gets into drugs the farther they fall before hitting rock bottom. There are a lot of public assistance programs for heroin victims, rehab is available as well as follow-up counselling. Take a look at what your community can do to help your brother get over this.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 5th, 2009
Yeah.. It is quite natural that teenagers tend to get attracted towards all these stuffs, make sure that he does move towards it, keep an eye on him, anyway since he is in early stage try to get him out of it..
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....