Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

19 year old, ADHD, Possible other disorders?? OCD?

Hello, I am a 19 year old male who was diagnosed with ADHD in may 2012. My family and relatives always believed I had ADHD, and as I grew older I was able to notice the symptoms more easily. I started off with 10mg Adderall IR, and now I am on Adderall XR 30mg. While taking adderall I often get irritated or angry for no apparent reason. Besides that Adderall has worked wonders for my ability to concentrate and instead of me bouncing off the walls I am now calm not as fidgety.

What brought me to this forum is even though my ADHD is being treated, I am not satisfied with how I feel. I have often been told I have OCD by friends. I am a pschology student, and also believe that I have OCD, but my symptoms can be for a few other disorders also.

Symptoms I still show include me having thoughts that I can't control in my head, and even scenarios in my head that may make me upset although the scenarios may have not actually occurred. For example, I may have a girlfriend, and think of her with other guys and images in my mind, that I may not be able to control no matter how hard I want too and that particular thought or thoughts drive me to become sad or depressed and also comes along with anxiety. Also, If I go to church I don't like shaking so many peoples hands without washing my hands, and If I eat out somewhere I will use a napkin to grab Ketchup bottles, my shirt to grasp the door handle and other germaphobe behaviors as well. At times I may be alone in bed, and say a phrase out loud, that could be totally random and I repetitively repeat the given sentence until I can complete it in its entirety or until I feel like I am satisfied. Along with this since I have been on adderall I feel as if some symptoms have worsened. Another symptom I portray is I just feel alone, or bored with life. I also say what is in my head, without any regard for consequences or even thinking of consequences. Some behaviors I may demonstrate is checking my alarm clock several times before I go to bed, or making sure my clothes match perfectly, having certain rituals when I wake up, such as taking a shower and so on. I like for things to be organized and done my way and can't stand for things to be dirty such as a dirty room or porch. One Odd symptom that probably has nothing to do with a disorder is, I may go after a girl and try to make them all mine, and then once I realize that I can have them I become uninterested and move onto the next as the cycle continues until I am satisfied.

Out of all my symptoms I have listed, The ones of my most concern is not being able to get thoughts out of my head that I really wish weren't there. This is because I could be having a perfectly good day, then thoughts may come and just change my mood negatively. Also, frequently I will have "just one of those days" where I may be down for no apparent reason.
Also, at night in bed trying to sleep my mind races until I finally fall asleep.

I'm sure I am probably leaving out symptoms, but I plan to go see a Psychiatrist by my college about these issues soon.

The purpose of posting this is to get others opinions on what other disorder I may have other than ADHD. I am lead to believe to it is OCD due to the fact of my obsessions and compulsions, due to 50 percent of people with ADHD suffer from another anxiety disorder. That is basically flipping a coin heads or tails.

Please give me your opinions on my situation, and possible disorders that may accompany my ADHD. If anyone needs additional information feel free to ask!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2012
Experienced User
You may already know this ADHD information. What you do not know is that the same people that provided the studies below, also have a solution to ADHD.

If you already know this, skip to the bottomto learn more about the solution and what the science says you can do to improve the condition.

ADHD and Autism

In the science of medicine, ADHD and Autism are similar and evern considered related in various ways. Sometimes the similarities overlap. What if they were similar bu not related? What if they are two distince conditions that share symptoms.

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder ADHD is considered a neurobehavioral developmental disorder. It affects up to 5 percent of children and by some estimates twice many boys as in girls. Symptoms usually sart before seven years of age.

One of the most familiar aspects of the condition is arepeated pattern of impulsive actions and lack of attention. Sometimes it comes with hyperactivity.

ADHD is usually a chronic or long-lasting disorder with up to 50% of those diagnosed in childhood continuing to have symptoms into adulthood. They sypmtoms may not be as noticeable as many learn coping skills to compensate for their condition.

The reality of the above information suggest we are poisoning our kids to help them have a better quality of life. If ther were a better way, would you be interested?

Treatments for ADHD have been fraught with controversy. The debate has involved all disciplines from health care providers to parents and everyone in between. Opinions range from not believing alternative treatments are real to various genetic and physioligical theories as the basis of the condition.
|

replied November 21st, 2012
From my point of view you can came out from this ADHD with the help of counselor. So please search the best counselor & take a treatment & counseling from them.
|

User Profile
replied December 8th, 2012
Experienced User
Research states, that the one priority to everything talked about starts within the cell. Has anyone found some research on this?
|

replied December 22nd, 2012
Experienced User
HELP for MENTAL DISORDERS
I have ADD, OCD, depression, anxiety, and my dad had all of these for 89 years. Just happens to run in my family. I have been on psych meds for 30 years and I absolutely hate them. I have gone to an alternative healer in some small town out of this state and the whole mental mess is gone - in 5 minutes. This man went to medical school, chiropractic school, studied in China for many years and I have never seen so many certificates on a wall in my entire life. You have no idea that such things exist that will heal each and every person of every ailment on the planet. Dump the drug bandwagon as soon as you can and that is what I plan on doing. I have never taken any medication for my ADD - because I never knew I had it. My mother introduced me to crystalized ginger when I was in 2nd Grade and I have one year of college with straight A's and 2 scholarships I left behind. Don't ever give up. There are things out there besides the O so rotten AMA and the Drug companies!!! I have a son that is ADD with Asperger's syndrome that was on Vyvanse for 15 months (and hearing voices!!!) and adderall for the rest of the time. He last took an adderall pill on the last day of high school and never again. We have found alternative things. Anything hot that gets the blood circulating will do the trick - ginger, cayenne pepper, hot peppers, curry, and add in Omega 3,6,9 fatty acids and try something called vincentopene (an extract from the Periwinkle plant) which helps the memory very much. I just can't stress it enough. I have said that the next time I am in the hospital, it will be over my DEAD body!!! Enough said!
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2012
Community Volunteer
My daughter was on Concerta from age 4-21 for ADHD; I was on Adderall for a short time this year.

Other than the drastic mood changes you experience, I have all the same OCD symptoms you seem to have. I also suffer from Major Depressive Disorder (which would have some of the symptoms) and General Anxiety Disorder (Ditto), PTSD, and possibly a few others.

At some point, there was a question of Bipolar II -- apparently this is when you go from bad --> worse, instead of up ---> down.

My best wishes in getting yourself to a therapist or psych. The meds help w/the symptoms, but the counselor helps you talk through the frustration of living with, say, OCD.
|
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...