Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

15+ year back pain, What is the diagnosis now, doctor???

I am new here and looking for a little advise from those who may have been through what I am and have been dealing with for over 15 years with really no answers. I started feeling some come and go back pain in my early 20's. It first really took me to my knees, in tears, when I was mid to late 20's. I was just doing my daily home care...sweeping, mopping, vaccuuming...started to feel the ache and twitch again but I kept going, I was pretty use to that happening at this point. Then the pain just got worse and i started feeling shooting pains through my lower back and felt like I couldnt stand upright. My husband immediately took me to a well known Chiropractor in town where he took Xrays upon Xrays after which my back was massaged and carefully adjusted. I felt sore but could stand again. The doctor pulled my Xrays and told me the vertebrae in my lower back appeared to be rotating. He advised he could not "fix" this rotation, but he could prevent it from getting worse, inevitably rotating a full 360 degrees which could snap my spinal cord. I did see the unusual looking part of my spine he was referring to, and I could tell something was indeed wrong with it. I went for regular visits with the doctor for 2 years. seeing him several times a month for adjustments and deep massage. I eventually stopped seeing him and gave up any hope of a pain free life. In my early 30's I met another chiropractor who used different techniques. I went through another 2 years of ultrasound massage, acupuncture, adjustments to my back, etc. At this point my lower spine appeared to be at about 180 degree rotation, basically....nearly facing my abdomen instead of facing outward from my back. Even with the different techniques, i still had no real resolve. Her methods eased my pain for the day or so but it would all come back later that evening or the next day. I am now at my most desperate point. I am 38 years old. 4 children. and I cant even stand long enough in the kitchen to make supper without having to sit down every 5 minutes. I cant sweep or mop my floor in one swoop. I have to stop every few minutes to sit and wait for the pain to stop. If I keep going, the pain radiates to my hips and moves up into my shoulders. It will nearly immobilize me to where I feel like I cant stand upright, i have to be helped to the couch to a sitting position until it stops. I finally gave in to taking Flexeril and Norco when its really bad and keeps me up at night. I cant walk through the grocery store anymore without leaning heavily on the basket and having to stop and sit constantly. I cant sit in one position for more than half an hour without changing because the pain starts again. Same with sleep. constantly waking in pain and having to change lying positions. My current doctor had xrays taken and the gentleman who "read" my screens told her that there was no rotating of my spine. there was no curvatures. My vertebrae are perfectly spaced with good cushion. He listed at the bottom of the report "lumbar facet arthropathy." I am perplexed. After hearing for 15 years that my spine is rotating or twisting, Im now being told theres no signs of rotation or curvature, and I have arthritis??? I call the doctor on a weekly basis to change the medication, as nothing really seems to be working. Heck, operate! Do something because I cant even be a mother to my children right now, or a wife to my husband. She told me last week she was referring me to the pain management center in town. Beyond that, she was out of ideas to help me. I am willing and wanting to give anything a shot at this point if it results in me playing with my kiddos again.

Im really just praying someone reads this and has been through it and will help pave the road and tell me what I have ahead of me. Or if there even is hope, as right now, i dont feel there is. I want to be a wife again. A mother. I want to WORK again. I miss it all. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated... Im currently on the list for pain management...just waiting for the referral to be approved and accepted by my insurance... I hate to sound so desperate but i havent found anything remotely close to my situation in all the research and digging ive done online.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blabbering and "poor me" post. I know there are alot of you out there who are worse off than I am and part of me feels selfish for posting, but I have to try....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 16th, 2013
Experienced User
It is most likely your sciatic nerves.

The first thing you must do, is to start with going to bed with an electric pad and / or a hot watter bottle to your back all night.

Second, you must lay on a strong table or a high bed, with your body resting fully on that table but not your legs & feet. Your legs and feet must be down to the floor and together. Hank on to the table and very slowly lift your legs and feet up horizontal to the floor, hold for a few seconds, lower back down very slowly till you touch the floor again. Do this exercise as often as possible per day and keep doing it for up to a month. Thereafter, do it once in the morning anf once before going to bed for about 3 to 6 months. From that point on, do it as needed.

You will start seeing a difference in the first few days. I have been a healer for over 15+ years in canada. This technique has been healing many who have this type of problems.

If you do not want to do this, it will get worse. If you can not lift your legs and feet all the way up, it does not matter but you have to keep at ot. Eventually, you will be able to.

By the way, Ibuprofen is very good for pain.

Good luck to all who have this problem.
|

replied August 21st, 2013
Active User, very eHealthy
Quote:
It is most likely your sciatic nerves.

How did you come to this conclusion? The OP mentions nothing about pains into her legs. What she DOES say is:

1) i started feeling shooting pains through my lower back.

and

2)lumbar facet arthropathy
This is a condition caused by the facet joints either being out of alignment or
not being moved through their full range of motion daily.
Your exercise does nothing for either of these problems and compressing the lower
back by tightening the hip flexors as you suggest could very well increase her
pain and injury.
|

replied August 17th, 2013
Quote:
At this point my lower spine appeared to be at about 180 degree rotation, basically....nearly facing my abdomen instead of facing outward from my back

Stretch a ligament only 6 percent and it will tear. Your discs are the ligaments which hold your back (bones) in place. Sounds like you are being fed a bunch of baloney.

Quote:
I am willing and wanting to give anything a shot at this point if it results in me playing with my kiddos again.

You need to do the correct exercises to get things back in place and moving. Obviously, having work DONE to you has only given limited relief. It make take only 20 minutes a day, maybe 5 hours a day.
I had to spend 5 hours a day walking and doing Egoscue exercises he prescribed for me for 4+ years and now almost have my life back. It was worth it to ME.
Being able to run again, shop for 3 hours, sit (could not do that for 2 years), sleep at night is unbelievable! I have to pinch myself to believe it is true. Other people I know with my injuries can barely walk let alone run again. One woman I know finally committed suicide after doc's removed part of her brain in an attempt to ease her back pain.
|

replied August 18th, 2013
Experienced User
Egoscue exercises are not the type you want to use at the present. If you want to get better, you must follow the first exercise that I have given you and I will give you more to follow. I have 18 back exercises which I have use from back problems/pain I have experienced for 40+ years and they have brought me back pain free.
|

Quote:
Egoscue exercises are not the type you want to use at the present.

Why?
Quote:
If you want to get better, you must follow the first exercise that I have given you

Why? What are you trying to accomplish?
Quote:
I have 18 back exercises which I have use from back problems/pain I have experienced for 40+ years and they have brought me back pain free.

Egoscue has over 900 exercises. Specific exercises are prescribed after evaluating the person. What worked for you may not work for someone else. They will make some people worse.
|

Experienced User
There is no such thing as 900 exercises for the back pain as most of them, are for helping other parts of the body and not for the back. I have helped over 1,000+ people in my 15+ years I have been a healer and to this day, they are all walking normally and able to work, bend, sit and stand without any pain.

Have a nice day
|

Quote:
There is no such thing as 900 exercises for the back pain as most of them, are for helping other parts of the body and not for the back.

I didn't say they were all for back pain. But with your expertise, I am sure you are aware, as Dr. Joseph Weisberg says "You simply cannot avoid lower back pain without addressing the totality of your being."
So working on other parts of the body like hips and shoulders can alleviate back pain.

Quote:
I have helped over 1,000+ people in my 15+ years I have been a healer

Okay, but you never answered my questions:

1 Why don't you like Egoscue?

2) What are you trying to accomplish with your exercise? Are you aware that lowering the leg as you state can INCREASE someone's symptoms if the sciatica is disc related?

3) What makes you think "It is most likely your sciatic nerves."?
If it is, why would you give an excise which could cause further injury?

I am interested, please educate me.

Quote:
they are all walking normally and able to work, bend, sit and stand without any pain.

A 100% success rate where every patient has been completely healed? So you're saying if this woman does your 15 exercises she will be completely healed and totally pain free? Sounds too good to be true.
I would think you would be on the evening news as your procedures would make back surgery, pills, and injections obsolete.
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...