Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

1 year after Thyroidectomy surgery, few test and I am nervous

Hi,

So I had Thyroidectomy in Feb 2017 as I was detected with 2 nodules and FNA was suspicious of being malignant. After surgery it was confirmed one of the nodules was cancerous.
Now its going to be 1 year and my Endo has asked me for blood work, ultra sound and radioactive scanning.

Today at the ultrasound the lady was marking some items while taking snapshots and this has scared me. It was like same as last year when the operator had marked some items and it was all nodules.
I am very nervous and the wait is still next week when the Dr calls me with the findings.

What has been your experience after the 1st year test? Are these ultrasound really scary to being with.

Appreciate your help on this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern.
It depends on type and stage of thyroid cancer.
However,for common cancers of thyroid like papillary or follicular even medullary if diagnosed and treated properly in stage 1 or 2,has 95-100% 5 years survival rate.
However,long term followup is advised.
Ideally post surgical radioablation of remnant thyroid tissue is done as it facilitates the use of Tg determination and radioiodine scanning for long term followup.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Cancer
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.