User Profile
if you take Xanax long term it will slowly invade your mind and behavior like blood pressure problems it could be a silent killer. Shocked
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 11th, 2010
I was addicted to Xanax for 5 years. It took a 90-day in-patient treatment and 9 months on an anti-seizure med go break the addition. Now, no benzodiazepine will work for me at all and can't be used to help in surgery. In fact, my long-term addiction may have contributed to the toxic cataracts I just had removed (I'm 46). As it was explained to me, benzos effect the same brain receptors as alcohol, and actually builds a bridge over those receptors, permanently changing the brain. People who have a pre-disposition to alcoholism are more likely to become addicted to benzos.
|

replied June 5th, 2010
Supporter
I disagree, i have been on xanax for 7 years now, and have been on the same dosage. I am not addicted, and i dont even use the 3 1ml they presribe for me. usually i take one at bedtime unless i am having much anxiety and many times none at all. So they give me 90 pills a month, and probably use maybe 45. So i dont refill it until im down to about 10 pills. I also am given 60 2mls of klonopin for sleep, i am bipolar and people with this disorder have a hard time sleeping especially when you are in the manic mode. without it i can stay up for 3 days at a time. As far as klonopin goes once again i only take one each evening, if i am very stressed than 2, and then again on other days im very tired i dont take it at all. I have been taking the same amount of diluadid for 2 years due to a back injury. I get 240 4ml pills a month. i use my meds responsibly. if you dont need it dont use it. as far as changing your brain receptors that is correct. but people that suffer from chronic pain normally will build up a tolerance to their meds requiring more. my daughter passed july 4th 2008, thank goodness i was her patient advocate. I would not sit by and let her suffer in pain, whats the use of living. jenn built up tolerance to the pain meds quite quickly, the receptors as you call it, but also her pain was getting worse. if these doctors could trade places with the patient in extreme pain, perhaps they would certainly have a totally different view, consideration, empathy, and learn to listen to their patients needs. its all the drug seekers out their that come to the er hoping for a fix. my motto if their is pain their is no gain. if you are in horrible pain after surgery, control the persons pain, dont take it away just to suffer, then they cant get out of bed to walk which strengthens surgical patients. everyday the patient will feel better but dont pull their meds away. after one week the patient should start to feel better and then their meds should be lowered. With pain their is no gain.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....