Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

xanax is the only med that works for my panic attacks

User Profile
Xanax is the ONLY med that works for my panic attacks..been on 7 SSRI's they make me feel like crap
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile XnickX
|
Users who thank XnickX for this post: LiftmeUp 

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2011
Experienced User
I have the worst anxiety and panic (around night especially) I'm on klonopin which isn't helping. My psychologist doesn't want to give me anything else which upsets me (I've told him) since it's serious to me. He has me taking DBT classes which do help but the anxiety is still there. I'm on other SSRI's too and have been and I hate being on them but some things you just can't control Sad
|

replied April 21st, 2011
anxiety attacks,, had em all my life!
Yes, I have been on anti-depressants for the last 30 yrs, it's the only thing besides the 'quick fix' of Xanax, that helps. anti-depressants make it so I don't get them at all! Finding the right one is the hard part!
Good luck!
nancy
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2011
My suggestion is to find another psychologist to express your concerns with if you're not getting the results that you expect with your doctor.
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2011
iv seen 3 doctors .. they just throw me on the ssir's
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2011
this is to LiftmeUp..just wean yourself off the ssri's they dont work..they make it worse because of all the sideFx..i like klonopin but i have to take like 5 of them for the panic to go away..thats why i have to buy my xanax of the street because the docs are not give it out no more..it sucks
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2011
Experienced User
They do make it worse! They're almost like dead cells now. The only problem is I have a physical addiction now. I've tried slowly tapering off of all of them at sometime (the first was given to me at 12) and it's always a painful nightmare. I get sick, panic, "brain shocks" hallucinate, you name it =/ I did manage to get off Effexor but was in bed for 2 months.

Klonopin is the same for me, it doesn't do much in small doses.

I am switching psychologists again because my current one hasn't been helping much at all =/ Hopefully this one can help me more.

That's awful that you have to sneak around now to get what doctors have given you to help with anxiety then taken away. I've had to do it and I know it doesn't help with the anxiety. Those psychiatrist have no idea (in my opinion) about anxiety. They go to school, read some books about stereotypes and labels, get a degree and throw pills at us.
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2011
best way to wean yourself off ssri's
best doctors are doctors that have panic attacks themselfs..your right half them dont no what there doing..my girl is stuck on lexapro for 7 years now..if u ask me id say thats just a bad is xanax..at least xanax helps lol...i had the brain ticks too..i just covered up the withdraw with pain killers and benzo's..paxil and Zoloft was the worst!!...but like i siad i weaned myself of them by taken 5 mg of xanax every 2 days and took some oxycondone to deal with the pain...im goin to a new doc too..hopefully hill give me my 1 mg alprazalam
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2011
Experienced User
That's amazing you were able to wean off of them! Best of luck with your new doctor, I hope he can help you more!
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2011
best of luck to u too..just some how get off them ssri's or yull never get off them(like my girlfriend)i still get the brain ticks from them..so i just pop a another one till the pain stops..good luck
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...