Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Would you abort if... (Page 1)

...you would have a healthy child for, say, seven years but then they would go on to develop a serious, chronic illness that would kill them? If you had that foreknowledge, would you abort to spare them the pain?

Just a hypothetical that I pondered on while answering a question in the pro-choice forum.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I would.
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Yes
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Experienced User
Definitely.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
LOL

So you guys aren't big believers in 'it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all'?
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Experienced User
The pain of losing a child in unthinkable, but the pain that the child goes through is unbearable. I could never have a child knowing they were going to suffer like that.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Reptar wrote:
The pain of losing a child in unthinkable, but the pain that the child goes through is unbearable. I could never have a child knowing they were going to suffer like that.

Well said!

I would abort.
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I wouldn't. The future is never set in stone.
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2008
Supporter
No. Even if it's certain my child would have the disease, there could be a cure or something similar by then.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
To give birth would knowingly submit a thinking being to a deadly disease just as they were becoming aware of life's possibilities? And this child would then just suffer and die? How awful. It seems desperately cruel to me. Abort for sure.
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I wouldn't abort. There is no guarantee any of your children born healthy will live longer than you so the example is very fantastic. Should my mom had aborted my brother if she knew he was going to live only 33 years? Come'on - you either respect life or you don't. You are either set up to kill or you don't. That's it.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The whole point of the hypothetical is that there is no cure coming along. Taking the hypothetical at face value, I don't know how anyone could let such suffering occur.
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2008
Jules wrote:
LOL

So you guys aren't big believers in 'it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all'?

I agree. Further more abortion, in my opinoin, is homicide!
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Catch25 wrote:
Jules wrote:
LOL

I agree. Further more abortion, in my opinoin, is homicide!

Imagine if we were to abort everybody who at some point of their life will develop a chronic illness. Millions and more millions killed.

Yup let's kill everybody who is not perfect.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
nightangel73 wrote:

Imagine if we were to abort everybody who at some point of their life will develop a chronic illness. Millions and more millions killed.

Yup let's kill everybody who is not perfect.

Strawman. You're applying a stance that not one person in this thread has taken. Do you leap to conclusions like this with everything? If someone says: "I don't like dogs very much and will never choose to own one," do you hear: "I hate all canines with a flaming passion and won't stop until I've wiped every last one of them from the face of the earth! Mwah-ha-ha!"??

There is such a thing as trying too hard to read between the lines and inventing a conclusion that was never there.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
We were pretending in this case that the diagnosis was absolutely 100% irrefutable. Adding on "oh well you never know" makes the entire thought exercise useless.

So, following the rule that shouldn't have needed to be stated, I would probably abort too, for the same reasons others have listed. It would be a hard decision however.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Here's a question about the scenario: how long does the sick-and-suffering phase of the disease last? I think for some people it might make a difference if it's 10 days versus 10 years. Because if someone needs round-the-clock care, is in pain, and requires huge amounts of medical intervention to stay alive, you'd have to managing your whole life around this eventually happening. You couldn't plan on having more children, because you wouldn't have the resources and it wouldn't be fair to them. One could also argue that if you give birth knowing that these medical problems would arise, that they shouldn't be covered by insurance.
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I was thinking that it is better to live and experience than not at all, and one never knows what kind of experiences you will have, or what kind of impact you may have on others.
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2008
Birch said it perfectly. It doesn't matter how long a human is in this world, they make a differance from the moment of birth. When you never give them a chance to make that difference, that is like taking away a small part of the world. How can somebaody say that abortion is right when it is young children who often make the biggest differences in this world. Abortion is the murder of a child. It does not matter how old or young the fetus in question is!
|

replied March 7th, 2008
Experienced User
Catch25 wrote:
How can somebaody say that abortion is right when it is young children who often make the biggest differences in this world.

Oh, they do not "make the biggest differences." Children are just treated as if they count more.

Adults are the ones out there being doctors and scientists and engineers and joining the Peace Corps to save the starving people in Africa. Kids don't do spit to make a REAL difference in the world.

Personally, this whole "child worship" mentality irritates the **** out of me. I love seeing headlines that say "Two children perish in blaze," then read the article to find out that four other people died as well, but they don't matter enough to put in the headline because they are adults.

Oh, and in answer to the original question in this thread, I would abort any pregnancy that happened to me. But in some hypothetical world where I actually wanted kids, I would most certainly abort any fetus that would develop a painful and fatal disease seven years after birth.
|