if you found out at your screening that your child that your pregnant with has developed downsyndrome or another disability, would your continue with your pregnancy, or abort?
its a tough choice, but i feel that if my child is going to had a disability i would abort cuz its not fair to that child to be brought into a world where he or she will suffer and not only the child suffer but as parents suffer to pay for medical treatment or hospital visits and other needs the child needs with a disability. my boyfriend and i discussed this and aggreed to abort if that is the case. its not fair to either.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It would depend on the degree of disability. If it was a life-threatening or severe quality of life threatening disability then I'd abort. I think I'd abort if the baby had Downs too. I would see it as being merciful to my baby not to make them live a life filled with pain and enormous limitation.

It would pain me every day of my life to abort but I think it was more selfish of me NOT to do it.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I would abort as well, because I can always try again. A handicapped life is for their whole life; a pregnancy is nine months.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Experienced User
I would abort too. With all the pain of my heart... but it's best in that situation i think. Not because i wouldn't take care of my child with a disability, but because i know i won't be there always to help them. It would be cruel to have them knowing that one day they will have no one to take care of them, or that they'll live the rest of their lives being a burden to someone else.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
exactaly, your always capable of trying again, even though yess it would make me feel miserable for a long while, i would kno that my fiance and i chose what is best for our child and as parents we were doing the right thing.
And we can always try again.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
I would abort as well, because I can always try again. A handicapped life is for their whole life; a pregnancy is nine months.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I'd have to abort, I wouldn't be able to give that child the life it deserves. And its unfair to them, to have to live like that/
|

replied April 27th, 2008
Experienced User
my little cousin is 6 years old and has severe downs syndrom. she has to use crutches to walk because she doesnt seem to have enough strength in her legs, her bones are slightly deformed and she cant speak at all, she has had heart surgery 3 times over the past 6 years, her eyes sight is poor so she had to have surgery for that too, shes super sweet and such a loving kid but her mom neglects her, father never bonded with her, all the work of raising her falls on my little 12 year old cousin. so really its not fair to anyone especially her. shes in pain everyday due to therapies, her family not taking good care of her etc. i would have aborted if my child was diagnosed with downsyndrom. its not fair to them
|

replied April 27th, 2008
Experienced User
That's so sad!!!!
Unbelievable that better a 12 year old child takes more responsability than the parents.
I agree, it's not fair to bring a kid into this world to suffer like that. There's enough suffering while being healthy and normal as it is, now adding the suffering of all that down syndrome brings? Really really unfair.
|

replied May 15th, 2008
Re: would you abort if...
It really would depend on the situation but I've already come to the decision that I would lean more towards terminating. I remember having to think a lot about this when I was pregnant with my son and ends up he's all perfect and stuff so we kept him *smirk*

It has got to be a hard decision though but in the end you really have to think of quality of life that you can give at that time and overall in general then come to the best decision in your situation.

krystineM wrote:
if you found out at your screening that your child that your pregnant with has developed downsyndrome or another disability, would your continue with your pregnancy, or abort?
its a tough choice, but i feel that if my child is going to had a disability i would abort cuz its not fair to that child to be brought into a world where he or she will suffer and not only the child suffer but as parents suffer to pay for medical treatment or hospital visits and other needs the child needs with a disability. my boyfriend and i discussed this and aggreed to abort if that is the case. its not fair to either.
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2008
Supporter
Im not sure if I would abort or not. It would have to depend on the severity of the downs syndrome.
I wouldnt abort merely because my child would be slow.
I wouldnt want to bring a child into this crazy misunderstanding world if they were severely handicapped either. That wouldnt be fair.
|