Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

would i most likely have other symptoms as well?

User Profile
hello doctor and thank you for your many responses to all of our questions. i have had a number of tests in the last year following a risky encounter in june of 2010. (hiv ultra @ 2 months, elisa antibody @ 6 1/2 months, and a finger prick rapid @ 8 months......all negative. i know to some, i'm crazy for even posting after having 3 neg test. i should feel fortunate and confident. i feel different physically. i know that there is alot of people posting and talking about swollen glands as a symptom of hiv. lately (past 3 weeks) i feel discomfort in my throat. not sore. just swollen. (1)how can i tell if it is my lymphnodes? are the lymphnodes the 2 little balls on the side of the jaw you can feel and move around? do those actually get bigger when one has swollen glands? or does the throat swell and just push them foward so they are more visible. (2) if i was infected and had swollen glands as a result would i most likely have other symptoms as well.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2011
(online)
HIV and AIDS Answer A21649
Hello and thank you for your post on e health forum.

HIV is diagnosed based on the serological detection in the blood samples. It is not diagnosed on the basis of nonspecific signs and symptoms.

Since you already have had HIV tests negative, you need not worry about it anymore.

Your symptoms of discomfort, and painful nodes in the throat indicate a streptococcal infection. They are not diagnostic of HIV infection.

The nodes described are infact submental group of lymph nodes, which get enlarged and tender during bacterial infections in the oral cavity.

You might benefit by a physical examination by a doctor and prescription of antibiotics and NSAIDs like Ibuprofen which will help reduce the symptoms.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.