Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

would CT scan show muscles and injury?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Hello. I believe that I have torn my lower abdominal muscles about 3 months ago, I thought it would heal on its own in a month or two but it didn't ..I can no longer do situps or the plank position with a dull or heavy pain feeling. A little more than a month ago I started seeing a sprots dr. My sports dr. ordered a CT scan, which he said showed nothing and that was very vague... Now he is suggesting I get a ultrasound... Should I get the ultrasound or find a new Dr.?? Wouldn't the CT scan show my muscles and any injury that I might have to them? Help!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A31327
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Abdominal muscle strains usually cause immediate pain in the area of the injured muscle. It can be hard to flex the muscle because of this pain. The other common symptom is muscle spasm of the injured muscle. Less commonly, swelling and bruising can result from the muscle injury.

In your case, a CT was ordered to rule out other conditions like renal stone or bowel conditions like appendicitis or rupture, which can also present as acute abdominal pain.

Though a CT can visualise intraabdominal organs, conditions associated with soft tissues like muscles (muscle tears) cannot be clearly differentiated, with a CT. Such conditions are better seen with a ultrasound or a MRI scan.

Hence I do agree with your doctors approach to managing your condition. You might continue with your doctors advice and treatment.

In case, you still have doubts, you can definitely seek a second opinion, to clear your doubts.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.