User Profile
First my abdominal pain started out as a bloated feeling right below my rib cage in the center and a burning sensation in my chest. Now the pain has worsened and is moving to different places like a little to the right of my belly button, the lower left side, and my lower left back is sore and feels a little swollen. My friend was just diagnosed with stomach cancer and I'm afraid that I will be too.. Any suggestions of what this might be? So far, no one has been any help. The pain isn't constant. It comes and it goes, and its always in one of the places listed above, never in two of them at the same time. Also, I had a negative test for H. pylori infection so it probably isn't an ulcer.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2010
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Answer A10630
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Having a negative test for H pylori does not mean that there is no ulcer. Ulcer can exist without a H pylori infection. The symptoms (bloated feeling right below my rib cage in the center and a burning sensation in my chest) could be due to inflammatory bowel disease such as Celiac Disease/Ulcerative Colitis/Irritable Bowel Syndrome/ Crohn’s disease. Parasites in the gut like threadworm, tape worm, giardiasis etc can behave this way. Hence a stool test is a must. Problems of gall bladder and liver or that of pancreas too cannot be ignored.

It could also be just severe acidity with gastric reflux or hiatal hernia or duodenal ulcer. The treatment involves taking a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning. Along with it you can try over the counter antacids. However I would recommend you see a doctor and take medication under a doctor’s supervision.

Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Take a late night snack and eat supper early. Go to bed at least 2 hours after food main food, dinner or supper. Maybe these tips will help you.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your treating physician. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.