Hello I just joined after reading a post about HIV. I'm currently worried that I have contracted HIV.. The things that have worried me so far is that I hooked up with a T-girl and went to her place. When I laid on the bed she got on top of me and immediately slid on me. I pushed her off and asked her if she was clean and she said yes. I put on a condom and finished. 2 days later I had a cold sore in my mouth and a few weeks later I woke up with a bruise like thing on my neck. Are these both symptoms of HIV? It's been about 4 weeks or so since I hooked up with her. I can't afford to get this at any cost and have vowed to commit suicide if I do have it. She claims to have been tested negative as of 2 weeks ago but did not show me the results yet.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

The majority of HIV infections are acquired through unprotected sexual relations. Complacency about HIV plays a key role in HIV risk. Sexual transmission can occur when infected sexual secretions of one partner come into contact with the genital, oral, or rectal mucous membranes of another.

The symptoms described are not due to HIV. Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). They usually heal on their own within a few days. But if they cause pain or make you feel embarrassed, they can be treated by skin creams, ointments, or sometimes pills. Treatment helps earlier healing of the sore (1-2 days faster).

You may choose to get screened for HIV by ELISA for HIV antibody (reactive within 4 weeks to 3 months of exposure) OR a PCR for HIV RNA (Reactive within 7-12 days of exposure). You might consider consulting your GP for further counselling and additional information on tests for HIV.

I hope this information here is helpful.

|

replied January 24th, 2011
Thank you so much for the response. I'll get tested in 3 months and then 6 months before I have sex again.
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.