Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Worried sick, possible hiv infection?

I had full std testing including HIV done during my pregnancy, 8 weeks after I had my son and just recently in March 2012. But, I recently was stupid enough to have unprotected sex with my sons father. I knew that since we are both single now it was a possibility that it could happen, I brought condoms just in case but in the heat of the moment we did not use them :/
We have been seperated for 1 1/2 years and he has only had one girlfriend/sex partner but I do not know her past and thats why I worry.

My son is 2 years old and was breastfed up until about 5 days ago when I started noticing potential stds of a HIV infection. I tried stopping right after the unproteced sex just to be on the safe side but after reading that HIV is actually rather hard to catch even on the slim chance someone has it, I thought there wouldn't be any risk to him and now I've been eating myself up inside.

I got a sore throat about 3 days ago, with a slight fever (100.1) for two days followign that I've had slightly swollen glands in my jaw area. I have two prominent lymph nodes on the right side of my jaw and right side of my neck, neither of them are enlarged. I also checked for swollen lymph nodes in the armpit/groin area and found none. I often get swollen lymph nodes and fever due to impacted wisdom teeth. I took some amoxicillin I had from a recent visit to my dentist and the sore throat and swollen lymph nodes went away. While out shopping yesterday I noticed my feet felt hotter than normal and slightly tingly and today my body felt a bit achy but being the hypochondriac that I am I may be imagining these "symptoms"

If I had HIV, I could deal with that it would be my burden to bear. But the the tho9ght that my son may suffer and have to deal with doctors, medications and illness his whole life because of my moment of stupidity is too much of a thought to even fathom. Today he complained that his neck hurt, and I felt two swollen lymph nodes, however I read the signs in children are often different than adults so I'm not sure this would be related. I'm hoping I had a virus which he just happened to catch. I'm more worried that I may have HIV and have passed it to him as I read that HIV is highly concentrated in breast milk and that it is most infectious in its early stages.

Any thoughts/opinions on all of this would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 3rd, 2012
Dear Madan,

First of all, please don't get tensed, I know its easy said than Done. But getting tensed makes things worse. Even I was sailing in the same boat before I got tested. I would recommend you to get tested right away to put yourself at ease. There are lots of test available now. It takes only one prick to put away all your tensions. I shall pray for you, don't worry, Get tested and let us know your results. I'm sure you would turn out negative.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....