Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Worried about schizophrenia

ive been wanting to talk about this problem for a while and i finally feel like i can.
im an 18 year old male, ive always been fairly lively and quite chatty as a child. 2 years ago i started to smoke marijuna, not all the time but i would of classed myself as a heavy dope smoker. In febuary 09 i started noticing that i would have an aukward feeling when im stoned around new people, i did'nt know what to say unless when spoken to, so i was preety much silent. i also felt everyone would anaylse what i said. this started to happen when i was with my mates, then close mates, and now a fair ammount of the time when im not stoned. i feel like im not the same person i used to be and its changed in a small ammount of time. ive started to stutter slightly when i speak, and not seem with it when talking to others. i also feel like i cant strucutre my sencentes well aswel. around 2 weeks ago ive stopped smoking dope and it seems to be slighty better but i still do have episodes of it. I really wish i could shake this as its been a serious downer on my so far happy life. ive felt myself starting to get depressed about it.
i was just looking for some advice on this and was really wanting to know how i can shake this off as its seriously worrying me.
thank you
Ive also noticed i feel slighty depersonalised aswel, ive seen this is a symtom
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Unfortunately it would seem that moderate marijuana use can in fact lead to psychosis and in the worse case scenarios to the actual onset of schizophrenia.

If I was you I'd go to a doctor and discuss what you've been feeling with him to set up a possible assessment with a psychiatrist.

It's nothing to be ashamed of and it's better to get help sooner than to let it take a nastier course. You might be surprised how much medication can help.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
WROTE YOU THIS LONG BOOK OF A REPLY THEN I GOT BOOTED OFF BY MY CRAPOLA DSL, SO I'LL MAKE IT VERY SHORT. GO SEE A DX PER KAZ79 IF U WANT2.

NO YOU ARE FINE IN REGARDS TO THE SCHIZ ISSUE-JUST THE DRUG SIDE EFFECT {#1 DRUG FOR ER VISITS SAME BASIC M.O.-U.S.]...MORE IMPORTANTLY, YOU ARE INSECURE IN SOCIAL SETTINGS THEREFORE YOU BEGIN TO EVALUATE IF YOU ARE ACTING NORMAL SOCIALLY...I.E. THE NOT TALKING MUCH...THIS IS MORE OF AN ANTI-SOCIAL PERSONALITY DISORDER...USING DRUGS EVERYDAY? PARTYING TO FEEL GOOD? BREAKS THE ICE W/ YOUR MATES/WOMEN? YADDAYADDA...BUT OUR BODIES ARE DAMN NEAR PERFECT...THIS IS YOU BRAIN SAYING TO YOU, I'M STARTING TO WEAR DOWN FROM ALL THIS POT USE, I'M BECOMING TOXIC AND CHANGING YOUR BEHAVIOR TO WARN YOU I'M PISSED...THIS IS A GOOD THING.

MODERATION OR NO POT. NO COKE OR METH OR HALLUCINAGIONS EITHER. HELL, EVEN OPIATES CAN LEAVE YOU WITH ACUTE OR EVEN CHRONIC PARANOIA, BUT IT IS A SIDE EFFECT.

I AM MORE THINKING ANTI-SOCIAL OR HISTORY OF SUBSTANCE USE GENETICALLY?

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE BOOK VERSION Q&A, LET ME KNOW BY SENDING ME A 'THANKS' AND I WILL SEND YOU MY CONTACT INFO FOR MORE ASSISTANCE IF NEEDED. WISH YOU ALL THE BEST THOUGH!
|
Users who thank Supperyummybubblegummy for this post: Bobmarleylover 

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2009
Experienced User
This is interesting. Very interesting. I do this every single day.

I have also developed a light stutter, and I feel sketched out with people. I've only been spending time with one person, my bf. That's really it. He says I am paranoid. I have a lot of the same symptoms you talked about. I never really thought about it being from the mary jane though.
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2009
You know, I've been thinking about my reply to this topic and if you're not hearing voices or halucinating or getting delusional or the like - then it may well be that you have a personality disorder. Either way I would recommend getting checked out by a doctor. That's the only way you can be sure.
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
i was a happy child, then when i was 13 i started smoking the weed, and it changed me completely, paranoia is not a good enough word for what i felt, hearing voices and a bi-polar personality followed, i feel like it stole who i once was, i heard that if mental illness is already in your family then you are more likely to develop problems, but it can happen to anyone. i was a bit shy as a child but generally outgoing, i cant be 100% certain about the cause but im pretty sure that weed had a lot to do with it. im on medication now for my anxiety schitzophrenia and depression and i get by, if i knew then what i know now, things would probably be different. seek medical advice and dont touch the stuff, or things just get worse. i know a few people who smoke it and occasionally i get offered some but i know if i touch it, and im talking 1 puff im right back in that place, i haven't touched it in years.
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....