Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

Worried about my son!! Radianting spine pain

My 15yr old son Symptoms:Radianting spine pain(Pain isolated to lower back/spine/neck)Fever,Headache,Diffuculty walking,pin point broken blood vessel spots in small group on arms,torso sides,and armpits(<100 dots total on body)symptoms for past 7days and relieved by naproxin temorairly and return if not medicated.Other info:elevated leukocytes,low(but not too low)hemoglobin,elevated C-reatine,Ophthalmologist cleared any related illnesses,bone scan ok,chest xray ok.First blood cultures were an inconclusive negative. Cultures redone and negative too.but those cultures were taken after antibiotc treatment for bacterial meningisits which was first suspected and treated for as a precaution.The Dr did try spinaltap 3x with no success.He stayed 5days and now home with no improvement of symptoms.and told to come back tuesday for more tests,said they're thinking autoimmune possibly now?! I'm worried about meningitis and leukemia.Should I ask spinal tap be done again?Should I get a 2nd opinion?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 6th, 2013
I hope that by now you have some answers. It sounds to me like it *could* be a form of autoimmune arthritis. A lot of systemic kids have fevers twice daily, and they can get the blood vessel spots, especially if they are symmetrical. There is a group (and I know I will kill the spelling) called Ankylosing Spondylitis that affects mostly the back and neck, but it can also affect the knees. This would also be helped by Naproxyn.

Have they run any tests like CRP, ESR/ SED, RF, HLA-B series, or anything like that? I hope that for whatever reason it was just a fluke and he is just great by now. Please let us know if you have some answers now?
|
Did you find this post helpful?