Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

worried about husband after he eats he throws it back up

im so worried about my husband and im in great need of advice. the past 6 months or so ive noticed that after he eats he throws it back up. i have begged and pleaded with him to please get help so he can stop but he says he doesnt want help because he doesnt need it. i tell him he is not fat (and hes not he is 6ft 210lbs) but he thinks he is. he tries to hide it from me and tell me hes stopped but he hasnt. can someone please tell me how to help him. i love him so much and i hate that he is doing this. please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2012
It definitely sounds like your husband has developed an eating disorder. Bulimia, most likely. He probably sincerely thinks he is overweight. People with eating disorders often have a distorted veiw of themselves. So much so sometimes, that it counts as a disorder all on it's own: Body Dysmorphic Disorder. Your husband needs help, whether he wants it or not. I would advise talking to your family doctor, see what he says. Also, I couldn't help but notice your screen-name; if you have a church family, I would advise you to reach out there. That is what the church body is for. Talk to some of your closest friends, about it; they can probably give better support than an online stranger. In the meantime, instead of begging and pleading with your husband, confront him about it straight-out. Ask him why he does what he does. It may not make sense to you, but showing him that you can just listen, can help. Help him to remember that you love him no matter what, and are always there for him. Know that you are going to have to be the strong one right now. Don't sit back and hope this goes away, though. The majority of bulimics may just have stomachaches in the beginning; but as time goes on the side effects become very serious. After just a few times of vomiting a person may have increased stomach pains and may see blood in their vomit. This is just the beginning of the severity of the disorder. It can lead to heart problems, tearing of the esophagus, and even death. So, like I said, talk to your doctor, family, and friends. Also:
" If you or a loved one has bulimia…

Call the National Eating Disorders Association’s toll-free hotline at 1-800-931-2237 for free referrals, information, and advice. "

The more people you have behind you, the more likely you will be able to get him help. Remember that you are not alone in this either.
My heart and prayers go out to you!
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi jesuslovesu and welcome to ehealth: To me Bulimia is a product of stress in your life...Maybe something from years back or a problem now...This could be a job situation or something deeper...This is what you must find out.....He must want help to accept help...Take care...

Caroline
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....