Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Workout routine for 34 year old male with a bad lower back?

In a perfect world, I would be doing P90X ever day and be really ripped. Unfortunately, I have a bad lower back and I'm limited in the exercises I can do. Lifting weights, or anything that adds pressure to my spine isn't good... neither is jumping, torquing, or exessive running.

I have lost considerable weight by walking, doing ab work, pullups, push ups, and arm curls with a resistance band, but I want to add to my workout routine. Can anyone suggest some more? Maybe a modified P90X? I would really appreciate any imput.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 16th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
How about some leg work?

1) Deep knee bends.
2) Wall sit.
3) Single leg deep knee bends (pistols)
- Can also do these against a wall to start with.
4) Inner / outer thigh machine at the gym.
- Can do this lying on your side on the floor too.
5) Kickback machine at the gym or use a theraband wrapped around you ankle.

Single leg work is EXCELLENT for back injury because it will very quickly show up imbalances in your hips. One common problem is that you won't be able to keep the foot pointing straight ahead on single leg squats. It will want to turn out instead. Or your HIPS will rotate away from the leg instead. Same problem just a different type of compensation.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...