Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Working out everyday ?

Hey, I was wondering if it is healthy to workout everyday. I have played sports most of my life up until college and I have a little bit of a background in muscle training. I'm 6'2 about 170-175 lbs and pretty fit. However I now want to focus mostly on wieght gaining and muscle building. I know that you are supposed to have rest periods for each muscle group that you train but I wasn't sure what exactly appropriate resting periods are. I'm currently
workingout everyday and I'm training my biceps, back, shoulders and calves on one day, and on alternating days I am training my chest, triceps, abs and quadracipes. I'm not sure if this is over training, and if so how I should reschedule my week given that I do have the time to work out every day.

Also a specific inquiry I have is whether or not it is more beneficial to train muscles with isolation excercises, as most of the excercises I do incorporate more than one muscle group (i.e. I do bench press every other day which works both triceps and chest). Although I do mix alittle bit of everything

Any advice on would be helpful

Thanks
-Alex
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
Experienced User
Compound exercises are great, and so are isolation exercises. I think you need at least one rest day because you can get burned out and you can lose muscle if you don't rest. Variety is good because you will be shocking your body, and you will see good results.
|

replied July 24th, 2009
Experienced User
As long as you don't train the same muscles 2 days in a row you should be able build them up bigger. Just make sure that you give each muscle group a day to recover from the workout. And eat carbs and protein directly after working out too
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....