Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Forum

wonder if I have chronic fatigue syndrome?

User Profile
I have been suffering from extreme tiredness for about 18 months. I have had blood tests during this time (not because of the tiredness), but nothing has shown up. I also periodically have twitching of the left eyelid, which was once non-stop for 2 weeks, and recently I occasionally wake up with tingling/pins and needles in my left hand. Because of the extreme exhaustion, I am beginning to wonder if I have chronic fatigue syndrome. Is there any condition you can think of that has symptoms like this? Do you think chronic fatigue syndrome is a possibility?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper KALsez
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2011
(online)
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Answer A21520
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

Chronic fatigue syndrome is a condition of prolonged and severe tiredness or weariness (fatigue) that is not relieved by rest and is not directly caused by other conditions.

CFS may be caused by inflammation along the nervous system, and that this inflammation may be some sort of immune response or process.

Other factors such as age, prior illness, stress, environment, or genetics may also play a role.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) describes CFS as a distinct disorder with specific symptoms and physical signs, based on ruling out other possible causes of fatigue, including:

1. Drug dependence

2. Immune or autoimmune disorders

3. Infections

4. Muscle or nerve diseases (such as multiple sclerosis)

5. Endocrine diseases (such as hypothyroidism)

6. Other illnesses (such as heart, kidney, or liver diseases)

7. Psychiatric or psychological illnesses, particularly depression

and

8. Tumors

You might benefit by consulting a physician, who can do an examination and then rule out all the possible causes and then help you to get the necessary treatment.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What is chronic fatigue syndrome? We outline the medical definition and different types of CFS in this intro section....
What causes chronic fatigue? And who does it affect? We outline the main factors doctors think contribute to CFS in this section....
Symptoms of chronic fatigue are also common to other disorders. Learn to identify CFS symptoms and when to seek medical help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chronic Fatigue Syndrome , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.