Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

woman with thalassemia, man with scoliosis, baby?

User Profile
Hey. Myself and my children have thalassemia. One of my daughter's hemoglobin count remains around 93 this is normal for us. I had to have 10 units of blood during each of my pregnancies. This is something my daughter expects when she gets pregnant. This is were my questions comes. She is very serious about a man. This man's mother and sister has scoliosis. He seems fine BUT, can he be tested for this? If he doesn't have it can his child? And, are there addition dangers for them to have children together?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
Thalassemia in your daughter makes her the contributor to the genes of her offsprings. now the odds for them to get thalessemia wil be decided by the father.If he is not a trait or silent carrier then i would say the odds for the babies will be very low to almost impossible.But all the kids will be trait that is carriers.
Scoliosis has nothing to do ith thalessemia. You can just test a man for a thalassemia trait. It is a recommended and safe practice any way.
and i suggest your daughter should have a very strict monitoring of fetal anomaly scans and constant follow ups in every trimesters to get the children safe.And if anomaly detected intra uterine the earlier the better as then therapeutic abortion can be considered to spare the trouble for the baby and parents.You all need complete genetic counselling.Get to a thalessemia centre and let them help you.
I hope it helps
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2014
Yes, my daughter will be going to the high risk clinic at mount Sinai, as I did
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2014
As for the scoliosis.....if the man does not have it(if his mother and sister have it)....can he still be a carrier of it? What are the chances of the baby having it?
|
Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.