Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

woke up with long, thin, oval shaped swollen area on my arm

User Profile
HELP WITH A BUG BITE!(or at least I think it's a bug bite). Yesterday morning, I woke up and there was a weird long, thin, oval shaped swollen area on my arm. I had no idea if I scratched myself somewhere or what so I just brushed it off. This morning, I woke up with the same "bug bite" around 2 inches away from the previous one. Please help explain to me if this a bug bite or not how I should treat it, etc. I have not had any crazy symptoms, just swelling and irritation around the local area. The "bug bite" itself is hard, long, thin with rounded edges. It does not extend over an inch and a half. PLEASE HELP!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2012
Insect Bites Answer A30880
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of the elongated, raised skin bump, which occurs only when you wake up from bed, could be due to a injury or abrasion occurring, while you are asleep.

First and foremost you need to examine your bed to check if there are any wood pieces or any nail like projections which may be the cause of your rash like lesions.

For the time being, you can apply ice to the area, to reduce the redness.

Application of hydrocortisone 1 % ointment, available over the counter, in most pharmacies will also be helpful.

If you have any doubts, you can consult a dermatologist, who can examine you and advice you accordingly.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.