Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Withdrawn and anti-social

User Profile
My son of 24 years, he is an only child, highly intelligent, was never anti-social when he was a boy, but has become extremely withdrawn. He has never had a girlfriend. Doesn't like communicating with even friends and cannot even talk to the girls. When in public he sits with his body curly forward, he holds his chin looking down. I have seen him numerous times sitting with his eyes closed. I have seen his body rock (slightly). It just doesn't look normal. As a teenager he would pace up and down talking to himself. He doesn't like to go out and sits at his computer most the time. (He is a programmer). All his friends have girlfriend and some are married. I think he is very depressed or something. As a parent I am extremely worried. His father is always trying to rule him and tell him what to do which could be a cause of his problems. Should my son see a doctor? I have heard of St John's Wart and wish to give him something to help him.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 23rd, 2017
Depression Answer A62609
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of your symptoms do not indicate one specific disease. The exact condition hence cannot be identified here.

You need to consult with a doctor, who can do a proper assessment of your history, physical evaluation and if needed blood tests and imaging studies

This might help in proper diagnosis and treatment of your condition.

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Depression
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.