Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Withdrawing from Cipralex (Page 1)

User Profile
Hey there,

I`m mainly writing this to document my days of trying to ease myself off Cipralex, so perhaps some of you could use my experience to help you along your own path to recovery. Secondly I want you to know why I have chosen to take a non-medical path to healing myself such as using Cognitive Behavior Therapy, working out, eating properly, Reading Dr. Claire Weekes`s books and meditating.

I tried to commit suicide by cutting my wrists with a razor blade, after many deep cuts I stared at my wrist that was covered with blood, and had the thought of "What the hell am I doing?" these actions were not who I was or wanted to be so I cleaned my wound and stopped, an hour later I missed the feeling of pain and watching the blood come out and began to cut more this continued for several hours, (I had never had cut myself before this moment) with that said I set an appointment at the hospital with a mental health nurse, I was seeking help and told her of all my problems and feelings so it was suggested to me by the nurse and a psychiatrist that I try Cipralex, 10 mg`s a day(an anti-depression drug), I was near death and scared and was willing to try anything; so I did, and I felt great, in my opinion it was mostly due to the fact that I was getting help and moving forward dealing with my problems, But when I started to take them the first day I felt I headed 15 steps back, I felt more worse than before (something the doctor did not tell me), after doing some research I found it was normal when first taking the medication, after the first couple days I felt I was progressing forward, making many leaps and bounds I thought I could never achieve. After two months of taking it every day (at a full dose) I felt worse like I had taken 100 steps back, even getting up and showering was difficult, I was becoming extremely agitated, restless with sleep and daily activities, loosing concentration at a drop of a hat, and having aggressive thoughts towards people who did not deserve it, and the reaction that scared me the most was that I wanted to start cutting myself again, I felt the pills that were supposed to help were making it worse for me, so I did extensive research to find an answer; and I did, Cipralex is in the family of SSRI`s which increase serotonin levels longer in the brain to make you "feel good", I found information contradicting the doctors words, SSRI`s cause brain atrophy, which means it literally shrinks the brain and cause`s damage, also in my research I found a documentary called "Generation rx" which is mainly about kids and anti-depressants, but one part caught me, the G.B.A (the German equivalent to the F.D.A) did an in house study of Prozac ( an SSRI) in the 1980`s. They found a 6 to 12 fold increase of suicides compared to placebo, the company that made Prozac (Lilly) covered this up, the Germans knew and still Lilly did nothing to stop pushing there drug on the market. Between 1988 to 1992, 28,000 adverse effects were found and 1,600 suicides, (both records for new drugs) this was from fluoxetine (Prozac), but still it is of the SSRI family, these facts were pointed out to the second in command of the F.D.A Michael R Taylor, his response was and I quote " We have a good scientific understanding of these drugs". From what I have researched and found the defining point for me and that`s why I am trying to ease myself off Cipralex and it is this, the panel that wrote the D.S.M (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Disorders) which is used by 400,000 professionals in the U.S.A. 100% of the panel members regarding the areas of schizophrenia/mood disorders/ and psychotic disorders had ties to pharmaceutical companies from a financial stand point. These facts have made me very skeptical of the whole idea of putting medications in my body, I had full faith and trust in the people saying to me "you don’t have to take them, It`s you choice, but they will even you out" this was said to me by the emergency nurse, who I did believe and owe her a debt of gratitude for her help, but not in the area of medications, that part I wish I could take back, I felt somewhat betrayed in my weakest moment, but her help in other areas such as giving me tips on how deal with my problems, suggesting I read Dr. Claire Weekes’s books(Which has changed my perception of non-medicating even more)and giving me contact phone numbers of mental health resources, for that I will always be grateful.

It has been three days since I reduced my Cipralex intake from a full pill to 3 quarters of a pill, I plan to take three quarters of a pill for three weeks, then half a pill for three weeks, then 1 quarter of a pill for three weeks. The only side effect I have noticed is restless sleep, I have been working out every day, eating properly (vegetables, fruits, meats, poultry, seed`s, nuts, grains, but mostly no processed food), getting out of the house which gave me the ability to start looking for a part time job. I fell rejuvenated and regain some of my vigor I once had but leaving the rage behind. I actually feel like engaging people in conversation and truly wish to say hello which was un heard of two months ago, or 6 years ago for that matter.
but most of all I have a good support system; This has been extremely important for my recovery, it is only two people but they are the most important people in my life (non-family members), they have given me the ability to start my path on the new life I wish to have.

I will continue to update this every day so if someone stumbles across this and wants to take a similar path.

Good luck to you and your recovery,

Irish Newbie
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper daisygirl77
|

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2013
Well folks it`s been 4 days at three quarters of a pill of Cipralex and i fell just about the same but i`m a bit more slugish,and slightly moody with a vivid dream last nite of being a cop, it was a bit weird but nothing out of control, still keeping up with my work out and daily routine, cognitive abillities are getting sharper though and i can think clearer, the pro`s are definately out waying the con`s, see you in a day
|

replied August 12th, 2013
Good for you Irishnewbie!!! Please continue to report on how your doing, and take care!
|
Users who thank Othchika for this post: Irishnewbie 

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2013
Hey boys and girls,

It`s day five and I`m feeling fantastic, lot`s of energy, going beyond my capeabillities today, very little lag, and I can think clearly and problem solve well, no rage today and I`m communicating well, sleep was fantastic last nite and felling very positive and best of all no thoughts of suicide or cutting.

I`ll be back in a day
|

replied August 15th, 2013
Hi There,
Great, I love it!! I think your post will help others, thanks for posting it, and keep the
updates coming!!
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2013
Hey boys and girls,

Its day six and Im still feeling great, except for a cold, no bad dreams or thoughts of harming myself or others, a bit grouchy and tired but thats from the cold, missed a workwork just so I could rest,

See ya tommora
|

replied August 21st, 2013
Hi Irishnewbie,
You can handle a cold, hope you feel better!! I'm so proud of you, keep up the amazing work!! Smile
|

replied August 15th, 2013
Excellent, all the best keep, going with your journey
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2013
Hey there,

It`s Day seven and I`m still feeling great, slow and steady wins the race does apply here, no bad dreams, no "Brain zaps"( which i heard alot of people having from cipralex) my mind is still sharp and clear, no thoughts of hurting my self or others, no mood swings or depressed thoughts, I do feel a bit exhausted but thats from the cold i have, all in all i feel this is working very well. as well some people have experianced a low sex drive from taking Cipralex at full dose`s, I did not think it was a factor for me, but after a while coming off it, it has increased my drive, but not out of control,

see ya in a day
|

replied August 26th, 2013
Hey,
LOL!! So glad to hear you're doing so well!! Smile
|

replied August 16th, 2013
well done irishnewbie I am myself recovering from being addicted to prescribed drugs, you will feel a bit tired for maybe the first month but after that you will feel great I have been off them for about 2 and a half months after 5 years and I had forgotten how great life is!! I will never go back to taking pills life is too good now. and yes sex is great I had also forgotten how great it was. so proud of you keep it up u will thank yourself for it everyday of your life. I wish you the very best life has to offer!!
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2013
Hey guys,

Its day 8 and still I see little or no side affects from the withdrawl, but I did have a very weird dream last nite, still feeling sick from the cold, not really any change in my daily routine, except for not working out, I just want to rest this cold,

See ya in a day
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2013
Day 9,

Well boys and girls I`m feeling ten times better got this cold mostly off my back, still functioning well, feels like i can do multiple tasks better, feel more lively, and coherant, interacting with people is coming more easily and not as stressed as usual, I should note I`m back on my work out routine and taking niacin(500mg), along with a multi vitamin and taking omega 3-6 and 9 capsules. I believe these are key in my recovery and it seems to be showing all ready.

see ya in a day
|

User Profile
Day 10,

And I`m still feeling great, except for the weird dream i had last night, very vivid and some what disturbing. Sigmund freud said are hopes,dreams and fears can come through in our dreams, but last night had to be the withdrawl symptoms, it was just way to weird, besides that I feel great, working out eating right, cleaning up every morning and keeping a good routine to boot, as well I have been listen to Dr. Claire Weekes Hope and help for your nerves and has really been helping a lot on how I perceive life.

See ya in a day
|

Hi,
Keep on going, so glad you're feeling so much better!! Isn't it true that bad dreams can be a result of something you ate? Smile
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2013
I think it`s more of the mind set you have before you go to bed, wether you think positive or negatively has a huge impact on the dreams, I will say some food can increase the "bad dreams" but I believe its mainly your mind set before bed
|

Hi There,
Could be Irishnewbie! Think good thoughts, sleep well! Take care!
|

Hi,
Keep on going, so glad you're feeling so much better!! Isn't it true that bad dreams can be a result of something you ate? Smile
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2013
Day 11,

Hey there again it`s day 10 and I`m still on the good path, did a lot of Parkour last night and really help change my day, though it wasnt bad, but Parkour is giving me the strength and confidence to achieve my goals. Every thing is going well except for the vivid dream I had last night, they seem to be getting worse in the last to days, but those are the only symptoms I seem to be having, so I will take one over a hundred, still I just wish they didnt have to be so weird
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2013
Day 12,

Morning boys and girls, the newbie checking in for day 12, still on the good path still no major side affects except for some vivid dreams, which dont make any sense at times, still working out and eating right. Last night I did some late night Parkour and ran up a 8 and a half foot wall!!, I must say achieving this gave me some inner peace, not just from the physical aspect but from the action it`s self, this is the sport i`ve been waiting for, and i suggest to anyone to give it a go,
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2013
Day 13,

Well It seems the vivid dreams are here to stay, they keep getting wierder and make no sense, ( I had super powers and played the drums), Today and last nite I was quickly agitated, and even quicker to anger over nothing. And i`m noticing a slight tremor coming back in my left hand. Perhaps it`s some bad news I received last nite and could just be manifesting it`s self to these attributes. Had a light work out due to a leg injury I suffered two days ago. Hopefully I can get out and do some Parkour in the next little while to ease some of this tension. It seems my brain wants to revert back to it`s old way of thinking so i`m going to listen to some of Dr. Claire Weekes`s audio tapes and sort this out the old fashioned way, elbow grease.

See ya in a day
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2013
Day 14,

No weird dreams last nite, does not even feel like i slept, still aggitated and quick to respond negatively, just want to be alone. But i know thats no good, i dont want to revert to my old self, going to have a nice work out and go for a walk. Walking usually calms me, its better if it`s some were scenic, trying to keep a positive out look and reflect on all the good i have achieved in these last two months and be thank full for the people in my life who care and understand.

See ya in a day
|

User Profile
Day 15,

Weird dreams are still kicking around, but more funny than any thing this time, Feeling better, not as aggressive or quick to anger.Feeling positive and good about everything. The leg is getting better and i should be running in about two days. feeling fine and thats my rhyme.
|

WOW, you're already at Day 15, wonderful job!! Once you start running, nothing can stop you! Please keep us posted!
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2013
Day 16,

Hello again, feeling pretty good today, a bit tired but its to be expected, no real side effects i can report, legs just about 100%, and tommrow i go down to half a pill,

See ya tomoraw
|

replied August 27th, 2013
Hi There,
Good job! What was your original dose, if you don't mind me asking. Keep it up, talk to you tomorrow! Smile
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....