Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

21 with stage 4 endometriosis

One week on and I am slowly recovering from my second laparoscopy in two months. My surgeon removed a mass the size of a grapefruit from one of the ligaments under the uterus, found more adhesions on my bowel, kidneys, rectum, pouch of douglas, left side pelvic wall, ovary and leading towards my liver and around my liver. I have had the mirena inserted but have been told that with the severity of the endometriosis if
I want to have children I will need to do so in the next two years. As stated before I am only 21 and single. I can't imagine a life without children and have found myself at a crossroads. I will be unable to adopt for mental health reasons. I was wondering if anyone else has found themselves in this position and what are some options for me to consider. I have looked into IVF and it may still be a possibility. Are there any other ways to prolong fertility then what my doctor may have told me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Feeling pretty lost
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2012
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If endometriosis is severe, do not delay your pregnancy plans. The chances of pregnancy are highest within 3-4 months of the surgery for removal of endometriosis implants/growths, scars, adhesions; or after completion of regression therapy. Post-surgery, women have better recovery and long term relief if treatment is combined with regression therapy with use of hormones. Endometriosis symptoms can persist or recur if estrogen production or supplementation is present. Symptoms can also persist if there has been deep retroperitoneal endometriosis (as these places are not easily reachable with conventional laparoscopy). If your ovarian function remains normal (and if ovaries are intact or not affected much with endometriosis), you can opt for IVF, or surrogacy (where you can have your eggs and your partner’s sperms united/fertilized to have baby and have it grow/develop in a ‘womb on rent’ such that you can be the biological parents for the child). Discuss your pregnancy plans with your treating doctor/gynecologist. Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is endometriosis and where does it occur on a woman's body? We outline the basics of endometriosis here, a condition that can affect millions of women....
Endometriosis can cause infertility...but what are the reasons that a woman might experience this condition? And what puts you at higher risk for developing it?...
Early symptoms of endometriosis can seem normal. But when should you ask your doctor for help? We outline the problem signs and symptoms here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Endometriosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.