Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Wisdom tooth extraction: bone fragments?

I had two wisdom teeth removed about 1.5 weeks ago. Now, I'm noticing tiny fragments of bone protruding from the area above the extraction site. I assume these are tooth fragments. I feel slight discomfort in the area--no serious pain at this point. I'm wondering whether it's necessary to go back to the dentist to have these fragments removed, or whether I should wait for them to work their way out? I don't want to disturb the extraction site or promote bleeding again (I'm a teacher, and it's very difficult to lecture when my mouth is bleeding / in pain).

I'd appreciate any insight!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi cedarseoul and welcome to ehealth: Give yourself time and the skin will grow over them....This will not happen overnight and in the meantime, just be careful not to eat food in this area...If it continues to bother you then go back and see your dentist...Take care...

Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....