Hi, I'm 17 and I got my wisdom teeth removed on April 17, 2009. It has been 5 months since my wisdom teeth removal, yet my facial swelling is still present. All 4 of my wisdom teeth were impacted, so it wasn't a easy removal. My surgery went well, but my cheeks got soooo HUGE! WAY bigger than any of my friends swelling after they got their wisdom teeth removed. It took me 2 1/2 weeks to be able to open my mouth enough to eat solid food, and it took until the end of may to be able to open my mouth the whole way like I could before surgery. My face still had a majority of the swelling when i went to NYC (May 1) and for prom (may 11). And by the beginning of June I thought it had all gone away until I was looking at pictures from before my surgery. I continued to compare pictures for the nezt couple of months throughout summer, and my face was still completely different than it was before surgery. My cheeks were still chubby, and when I smile, it looks like cotton balls are in my mouth. My cheeks and chin run together so the bottom part of my face is a fat mess. I used to have defined cheeks and now they are poofy and my dimples are pretty much non existent now. I went back to my oral surgeon and he checked everything out and couldn't figure out what would cause my face to still be swollen. No pain is present, but I can feel heaviness in my cheeks, which i never could before. I have been applying a heat compress and taking ibuprofen, hoping that maybe I am a super super super slow healer or something. Nothing has changed since May, and I'm wondering why my face hasn't gone back to normal like everyone else? Could my swelling have turned into permanent tissue? Has anyone else had this problem? I just want my face to be the way it was before Sad I need to take senior pictures, but I don't want to look like this anymore. Does anyone know what is wrong with me, had the same thing happen to them, or have any advice for me?? I am so hopeless right now. Sad

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
If you had all of these taken out at once this could cause a problem...Sometimes the pressure or force that the dentist uses can do this...Hopefully it will get better...
|

replied September 24th, 2009
So it might not go away?? Sad
|

User Profile
replied September 24th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
May I ask, do other people notice the swelling or is it just you? If someone else looks at a picture of you before, can they see the difference. I am only asking because sometimes we notice and get self-conscious about things that no one else sees. I'm not saying the swelling isn't there, I'm just asking if it may not be as bad as you see it.

Have you been on any medications since the surgery that maybe you are allergic to? Do you have any pain, funny taste, or bad breath? Did the surgeon say everything looked normal? Were there stitches to take out?

Your oral surgeon sounded rather dismissive. I think you should go see another oral surgeon or your regular dentist and get a second opinion.

Also, cold compresses work better to make swelling go down than hot ones. Try that and see if it works better. Just don't leave it on longer than 20 minutes at a time because you can get frost bite.
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2009
Community Volunteer
When a lot of work is done on the mouth and excessive pressure is put down on the jaw bone, this can cause the problems with the swelling...I know as I had this happen to me when I had my wisdom teeth pulled...For the longest time I had a difficult time with closing my mouth...It hurt where the jaw came together...In time it got better, but it took quite a while...The wisdom teeth are so large and there is a lot of healing to do...I wouldn't worry if I was you...Mine went away and I even ended up with a dry socket in one of them...Just give yourself time......

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I can see how this problem can happen, I just think that 5 months is a long time for her face to still be swollen. And the fact that her oral surgeon didn't say something like "this happens to some people, it should go away in ___ weeks" or anything, that's also a problem (with him).
|
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....