Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

willing to quit coffee, but I know I'll feel like garbage.

User Profile
Hello,

I have been a coffee drinker for a while now, but not till 2 years ago have I regularly been drinking coffee on a daily basis. I have two cups in the morning and that's it. I'm trying to be more healthy and lower my coffee intake, but when I choose to skip out on coffee for the morning, it feels like someone took a bat and smashed my eye in, then kicked me in the stomach.

Im in my early 20s and physically active. I'm wondering if I should make the switch to NO coffee, or if I should just make the effort to make sure that I always have my two cups of coffee in the morning?

I'm willing to quit coffee, I just know I'm going to feel like garbage.

Thank you for your help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2014
Addiction, Recovery Answer A45636
Welcome to e health forum.

Coffee is a beverage, which is used all over the world. Caffiene, is the main active ingredient , which acts as a central nervous stimulant, which acts by blocking adenosine receptors.

The effects of caffeine intake vary with most people. Some individuals are not affected with or without the use of caffeine, but other sensitive people, can have symptoms (side effects) with use of caffeine, and withdrawal symptoms, if they stop using it for some time.

Side effects of overuse of caffeine intake (more than 300 mg of caffiene, daily) over a long period, can cause nervousness, facial flushing, muscle twitching, rapid or irregular heart rate, running thoughts and speech.

Tolerance to caffeine also develops quickly in people consuming over 300 mg caffeine 3 times daily for more than 3 weeks.

In most sensitive people, regular use of caffeine (at doses, below those that result in tolerance) does cause some mild physical dependence, but it does not result in severe withdrawal symptoms, like the other addictive drugs do (eg. amphetamines and opiod drugs).

Withdrawal symptoms are more common in people who drink more than 3 - 4 cups coffee per day and abruptly stop it. Such symptoms include - headache, fatigue, anxiety, irritability, depressed mood, difficulty concentrating, etc. But within a couple of days, they subside, and people get back to their usual self.

hence caffiene intake is not considered to be a serious addiction.

If you think, you are addicted to caffiene, and want to stop using it, you might as well, and within a weeks time, you will have quit the need for caffiene intake.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.