Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

will these antibiotics affect my pregnancy?

User Profile
My period is now 5 days late i went to the er to day at around 4pm for some pelvic pain and discharge.They did a urine hcg test(negative) then theY gave me a shot in my butt, four pills to take and im supposed to start taking flagyl twice a day for a week but my body still feels as though i still could be pregnant. i have 3 children so i kind of know when somethings off ya know. Is it possible that i could be pregnant but it may not be showing in my urine? if so will all these different antibiotics affect my pregnancy if there is one. The doc said i only had BV why so many meds?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2014
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A49793
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Pregnancy test kits are basically qualitative kind of test which just tests presence of hCG hormone in the urine of pregnant woman because this hormone is only produced during pregnancy among women. But this pregnancy test depends upon the particular level of hCG in the blood. So sometime it may be possible that it can give you false negative results during early days of pregnancy only because of un- sufficient level of hCG to make test positive. So it is important to get serum HCG test done which is more specific than urine for pregnancy test. If pregnancy is completely rule out then you can take these medicines.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.