Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

will lymphoma panel or flow cytometry pick up hodgkins?

User Profile
Hi, I am a 20 year old female. I have had a cervical lymph node for 2 years that has not grown but now it has grown a little and I have noticed more lymph nodes in my neck. I had an ultrasound done and the radiologist said they looked like normal reactive lymph nodes but I have had them for so long and they are not going away, if anything they are bigger. I am really worried that I might have hodgkins lymphoma since it happens in younger people. My doctor had a lymphoma panel (flow cytometry test) of my peripheral blood done but from my understanding the only way to diagnose hodgkins is with a biopsy... so I guess my question is, is a lymphoma panel or flow cytometry test of the peripheral blood a sensitive enough test to pick up stage 1 or stage 2 hodgkins or any early lymphoma? Because I do not have any systemic symptoms, I feel totally fine its just the lymph nodes in my neck. They are mobile, soft, nontender.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2012
Lymphoma Answer A40844
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the exact cause for the persistent and growing cervical lymph nodes that you describe without examining them. They could be the reactive lymph nodes and chances of infection or infiltration, or calcification affecting the nodes can be present. If these are asymptomatic, you can leave them alone. If worried about them, visit your doctor/healthcare provider for examination to determine if these are hardened lymph nodes or any other swelling. If the examination confirms them to be lymph nodes, FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) can be done to look at the cellular composition. Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and evaluation results) would be started to help you. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/healthcare provider and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.