Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

will it go away? or is it traveling through urinary tract?

User Profile
Hey Doc, about 2 weeks I had unprotected anal sex with my girlfriend. A week after that I was experiencing pain in my penis, slight inflammation at the tip, urinating frequently even with very little urine in my bladder, and leaking urine. I have diabetes so I know my immunes system is a bit compromised..It seems like a UTI. so, for a week now I have been drinking copious amount of water (with hopes of flushing the bacteria out),never holding my urine, I have cut back on drinking drastically and have been consuming cloves of garlic bout every 2 hours. I'm trying everything to keep my immune system up. After a week the symptoms subsided almost completely but I do have a slight pain at the base of penis...I guess my question is, is this getting better? will it go away? or is it traveling through urinary tract and is going to get worse?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2014
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A50341
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The anal tract contains anaerobic bacteria in addition to other bacteria that you would have been predisposed to. Antibiotics would be required after taking a sample for urine R/E and Culture / sensitivity. Empiric treatment can be Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole in consult with your doctor after taking the sample for the tests. You may also get an STD panel done just to be on the safe side. I would advise you to practice safe sex in future.

wishing you best of health


Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.