Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

will i be sterile or infertile after treatment?

User Profile
Hi,

I was infected with chlamydia twice before but I was treated immediately and have completely eradicated the disease. However, I am very concerned that I might be sterile or infertile. Is that the case only if i was infected and not treated for a long time? or is that still possible even though I treated immediately?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2012
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A38247
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted infection but even if infected once it does not provide immunity and repeated infection can occur. But if is treated at an early stage then the prognosis is very good and long term complications are preventable. Infertility usually occurs when the person remains untreated for long. The possibility of infertility seems to be remote in your case as you have explained that you were diagnosed at an early stage.

Relax and get the test done after intervals to rule out the disease completely.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.