Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

Will bipolar boyfriend he come back?

User Profile
Ok, long story short. My bipolar (ex) boyfriend broke up with me due to a depressed episode caused by stress. He completely stopped wanting to talk to me. Since, I have kept an eye on him from the sidelines and tried to help him in any way I can without making it known that I was keeping tabs. We started talking again, but he treated my like a complete stranger. Talking to me in a cold, robotic voice. I couldn't take it. I went from his best friend, to barely an acquaintance. I had to stop communication with him for my own sanity. I can see that he is in getting manic, and I desperately hope he gets the help he needs. I love him and I am willing to help him, but will he come back? :/
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile GeauxGeaux33
|

replied December 30th, 2013
This is the time of year for mania. This is the second person I've been with who was bipolar (11 years total). He is doing the same thing after 5 years, broke off the engagement and told me to move out a week ago. Same cold, robotic, 'I'm not in love with you' behavior my ex-husband had..same time of year, same short, cold letter explaining that he can't do this anymore. Experiences are parallel. He has done this to me many times...broken up with me many times..gets out of mania...or he discovers he can't be a male model or that the hot chicks don't dig him like he thought they did. They always try to come back. I don't know in my case. We're living together and I'm packing/moving because he had me removed from the lease...had no choice. I feel for you.
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2014
The male model thing! He suddenly wanted to be buff and a firefighter, I didn't understand it at all, I never showed any dislike towards his body. Thank you for your reply, I love this man whether he's manic, depressed, or somewhere in between, but I hate that he took my choice to love him away from me. You are so strong! I wish you the best! Message me any time if you want to chat, discuss or let off some steam.
|

replied January 2nd, 2014
Oh, I wish I were strong! Everyone seems to notice lately what a low self-esteem I have which, I'm sure, turns him off even more. He told me after he dumped me, "it's personalities...it is evident to me that you don't love yourself" (and he does right now) Well, after getting thrown away, yet again, of course! I was doing great up until that point and I told him. He's on his high-horse right now...bouncing all over the place happy with his decision and new lease on life...happy with his decision to 'be on his own' as he stated. He told me only yesterday that he had just made this decision 2 weeks ago after my company party (mania was strong) when he got smashed and made the comment to the VP that he's "NOT MARRIED TO ANYONE". He said there had to be a reason he made that statement and felt really bad about his behavior so at that point is where he really felt that he needed to be on his own. He stays out 'til midnight...just living life with his new 'clarity' and waiting for me to leave. I've never negatively commented on my guy's body either (though he struggles with constantly with some weight issues). He gets obsessive about exercising...can't sleep..will get up at 4 am after 4 hrs of sleep and run to the gym. Obsessed with his appears...approval...that is, until he crashes from exhaustion and falls back into his over-indulging eating habits. I'm so tired...so sad...he's so full of energy and elated. I've lost twelve pounds in 2 1/2 weeks..I'm 5'2" so it's a lot for me. ugh. I am here for you too, if you need to chat. You will find that nearly everything you experience, you will read on a million other posts. The robotic, voice and complete detachment from you is pretty standard. I have a post up "5 years, broke engagement...". Hang in there...you're not alone Smile
|

replied January 15th, 2014
omg i am going through the same thing, also for the second
time which makes it even more painful. my fiance broke off our engagement at new year, says in the same robotic voice, hes tired and stressed, needs time on his own, he loves me and am amazing but he needs time to sort himself out and cant promise me anything, ive also lost weight, cant sleep am signed off work and he just says pull yourself together, if only it was so easy,so really glad to hear am not the only one going through this hell.he just took his stuff and left just like my ex did at this time 5ys ago. be good to hear how you are both coping or if things have got bettter since you last posted x
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2014
It's so hard when they are able to "forget" you and move on. When your love is just as strong as it ever was.

Well, My ex deleted his Facebook but said, "text me" at the end of his last message. So I've sent him 3 texts, no reply. I'm hoping for the best, that he'll realize that I'm not a threat and I don't want to hurt him. I wish he could hear how much I care about him in these messages. But bipolar… it changes them, makes them scared. Paranoid. You can't listen to anything they say because they might not mean it, it could just be the illness talking. I'm hoping to worm my way through his wall and get him to open up, and I know he wants me to be here because he asked me to text him. So things are looking up, but still uncertain. Hang in there! We love these people for who they are, mental illness and all. Check out this article, it really helps me when I'm down.
|

replied January 19th, 2014
Our situations are similar in many aspects. I often wonder how much and how long is going to be enough? Good Luck.
|

replied January 16th, 2014
thats not so good was hoping things might have improved for you both, i am the same after everything tried just to leave him alone for a bit for him and for me and like you txted him, i got a reply, answered my txt didnt even ask how i am, i replied but no answer. its so hard and like you jst hoping for a small breakthrough cos my own mental and general health are suffering, am sure you know how that feels. and thanks for the article just about to watch it, thanks x
|

replied January 19th, 2014
What a blessing to know that I'm not alone. My lover and best friend of 9 plus years decided a couple of days ago that I shouldn't contact him again. He broke up with me before, and I always welcome him back like it never happened. I loved him underneath it all, he never once says to me that he loves me, but he would say all the material things he provide should be enough to see he does love me.
Well, the last 3-4 months I noticed that he was becoming more withdrawn. It's understandable, the economy continues to go south for us. He has no emotions about anything, nothing was making him happy. Well, all it took was a comment I made to him via text. "I hope your sister will have enough money and material things to make you happy." I was getting frustrated with all the extra time, patience and effort I have put in to hold on, mentally it was killing me. It would be days until he respond and seem to me that his symptoms doesn't exist around his family at all. I wonder, is it me??? That was all it took, he responded that I was sick and not to contact him again. Now I feel like, in a way, I'm glad I still have my sanity and my children minus him. It's hard, but I refuse to ride this roller coaster ride. Nine years of all about him on top of being a Single Mom of 3, I'm grateful to be here alive and well. Although, still hopeful that he will get the help he need as I move forward with an open mind that there's hope in our future to connect again. Sad
|