Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Will a temporalis hypertrophy go away by itself?

My doctor said I have a temporalis hypertrophy because of the way I eat. Will this temporalis hypertrophy go away if I change my habits of eating? It's a over grown muscle in my temple.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2012
Especially eHealthy
AnotherEarthling,

Muscles respond to the stresses placed on them. That is why muscles get larger and stronger when you lift weights. So, by the way you eat, you have placed extra stress and work on the temporalis muscle. This is usually from chewing on only one side of the mouth, especially in gum chewers.

So, if you take the stress off the muscle, it will respond by decreasing in size and strength.

Good luck.
|

replied January 26th, 2012
Thanks. But how long should it take for my temporal is hypertrophy to get back to normal if I stop the use of the muscle?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
AnotherEarthling,

Unfortunately, you can't stop using the muscle completely, unless you have your jaws wired shut. Anytime you chew, you use both temporalis muscles. So, it will take a while for the hypertrophy to go down, probably a couple of months.

You are going to have to get used to not chewing at all on the one side. Avoid any extra chewing that you don't have to do, like a lot of gum chewing.

Again, it is going to take longer than if you could just quit using the one muscle, but that is not possible. So, it will take some time.

Good luck.
|

replied February 12th, 2012
Thank you both for your response. I have to stop chewing gum. I cut down 85%. I have to stop 100% and chew on my right side for a few months. The musicale really got larger. Just chewing gum on that side really make it expand. It's a relief to know it will get back to normal if I top chewing so much on that side.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
There is a medical term for this: Temporal hypertrophy. Usually it is treated non-surgically using botulinum toxin injections (botox). The results are remarkable really, and the temporal muscle returns to normal size without having to stop chewing or alter your normal behavior. Look up temporalis hypertrophy on the internet and consult with a plastic surgeon.
|

replied May 14th, 2013
My sister has been diagnosed with Benign Temporalis Muscle Hypertrophy and she has extra muscles around her head, down either side of her neck and across both shoulders.

Does anyone know of a good neurologist? We are in Portsmouth but of course willing to travel for my sister.

Her doctors at Queen Alexandra Hospital Portsmouth and St. Richards Hospital Chichester are unable to perform the required operation but have not given the name of a neurologist.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Please private message me.

I look forward to hearing from anyone that can help us.

Thank you.

Nicola
|

replied May 27th, 2017
Temporalis Hypertrophy is caused by sleeping on your side incorrectly.

Stack one pillow flat on top of another pillow. Lift your head and pull in the stuffing of the pillows to the base of your neck. Fill in the area under your neck. The weight should be supported all along the side of your head and neck with your cervical vertebrae rather straight.

If you sleep with one pillow on your side you will end up in an awkward position as your head sinks. You'll be sleeping with the weight centered on your ear OR your neck, and your temporalis muscles will have to activate to stabilize your vertebral column.

Two stacked pillows distribute weight better than a single pillow. This may feel strange and uncomfortable as your overworked muscles learn how to relax. Trust that your bones will be supported so you can release the tension. Chew your food slowly and you should be back to normal soon, without the botox. Smile
|
Tags: muscle
Quick Reply
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....