User Profile
Hello and thanks for having me... My wife once had a miscarriage
and she is pregnant again and its 5 weeks. She was in the clinic and they requested she takes progesterone test after which she was given Duphaston. Please i need all the advice i can get concerning this drug and what could help her.


Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2017
First Trimester of Pregnancy Answer A61464
Duphaston or Dydrogesterone is an orally-active progestogen, which produces a complete secretory endometrium in an estrogen-primed uterus. It is indicated in all cases of endogenous progesterone deficiency.

It is more likely that your doctors consider that your wife is having a defeciency of progesterone, which is normally secreted during pregnancy, to help maintain the fetus. In the absence or reduced production, fetal growth is disturbed and it can hence result in miscarriage.

Your doctors have advised the medication to avoid the recurrance of miscarriage, given the prior history.

I hope this answers your question.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our First Trimester of Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.