Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Pharmaceuticals Forum

wife giving Foreign medications to our baby...

What should I do about my wife giving Foreign medications to our baby?

I know for a fact one medication given is banned in the US (diclofinac) Others are anti-biotics, which she gives for run of the mill cold symptoms. I dont think there are any non perscription anti-biotics in the US. Others are for things like "stomach infection"???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
stabservo,

It is not a good idea to give high powered medications to infant, without the advice of the baby's pediatrician.

All antibiotics are prescription in the US. And, they should not be overused. They should not be given at the first sign of any little sniffle or illness. Their overuse has now led to the development of “super bugs”, or bacteria which cannot be killed with the usual medications.

Also, babies should not take certain antibiotics, such as tetracycline.

As to the diclofenac (Voltaren), it is not banned in the US. It is available in both oral and topical forms. It is an nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medication. It did receive a stronger warning in its package insert a couple of years ago, but it still on the market.

But, usually, NSAIDs are not advised in very small children, except under the supervision of a pediatrician.

You should speak with your wife. If this is not successful, you might contact the baby’s pediatrician. The pediatrician may be able to speak with your wife and explain why these medicines should not be given to the baby.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?