Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

Why would a woman be a feminist? (Page 1)

Would feminism be harmful or helpful to woman?
Harmful.
Helpful.
9%  9%  [ 1 ]
90%  90%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 11
User Profile
I cant understand why a woman would be a feminist... i understand why a man would. but why would a woman!?

Feminists (man or woman) seem to often get confused with what true equality is. If Feminists were really for equality they wouldn't be saying Quotes like "Girl Power!" or "kick him in the balls!" they would be saying "people power!" and "if you kick him in the crotch he will kick you in the crotch!"

Do you realise how much sexual abuse or sexual harrasment would go up? how many more jails would fill up? Fact is woman can get away with WAY more than guys, and it's mainly because they are conciderred the more affectionate gender... but WHY? is it because they are less likely to cheat on their loved ones?

well here is a fact. FACT. a psychologist i know very well (Mr. Musgrove to be percise) explained to me that EXACTLY 50% of marriages that fail because of cheating... is men... the other 50% just so happens to be woman.

so truely things are pretty equal. woman just often get things handed to them and they wont get in as much trouble as any man in the same situation. Fact is woman have a lot of crap they have to deal with in their lives (such as periods and giving birth). there are goods and bads to both sides.

i just think it's ridiculous that woman would ever want equality. it is really awkward (in my opinion) to see men put into jail for things a woman could easily get away with (such as teachers hooking up with students, which is getting quite popular with female teachers these days). and its also awkward to know that if a woman hits a man (no matter what her size in comparison to the man) the man is told not to hit back, and if he was to he would most likely be punished by law. And thirdly it frustrates me that men are often sexually abused and woman (and men) find humor in it. but if a woman is sexually abused (even in a movie) it's conciderred an awful thing that can often lead to the movie being taken out of theaters. And dont say what would be funny about a girl getting hit in the crotch... because... what's funny about a guy getting hit in the crotch? the only difference is females have nearly twice as many nerve endings between their legs than guys... meaning it would hurt nearly twice as much... either way. its all awkward.

Confused basically. WHY THE HECK WOULD A WOMAN WANT EQUALITY? if i was a woman there is NO FREAKIN WAY i would ask for equality.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 19th, 2008
Experienced User
You do not have a real opinion on feminism. You only know the stereotypes. Feminism is not about kicking men in the balls or burning bras. Your photo looks like an emo MySpace picture. Should I assume you like to cut yourself and are straight-edge?

Why do I want equality? So I am not oppressed, of course. That's pretty obvious don't you think? "Why would you want to be alive!?" - you may as well be asking that.

Equality is not about being able to do all of the same things - just the right to try. It is not about being physically or mentally identical - but being respected for our differences. It IS about being treated the same way by laws. It is about being able to own property, vote, and have legal recourse against physical violence. It is about being paid the same for the same work. It is about being able to go to school and become educated. It is about being able to control our own bodies. It is about not being considered an object.

There is nothing funny about anyone hitting someone else regardless of gender or location.
I've never met a man who found sexual abuse on either gender amusing.
Women do not get away with being with students; one of the biggest cases of the last decade was about a woman and a male student.

If you were a woman, you WOULD demand equality because your perspective would be completely different. You would understand the painful and debilitating effects of being called "just a woman".
|
Users who thank cmyked for this post: Beline 

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Experienced User
okay smarty. i wasn't basing anything off stereotypes. i know feminists... not many but still enough to know that they dont seem to understand that there are harmful things that would be applied to woman's daily lives if they were equal.

and no, i've never cut myself, im a very happy person. and im not striat-edge... but anyone who is i have respect for. it's really lame to diss someone for being strait-edge... if i was. because all that means is they are way more respectable than you (and me).

and does it make me a feminist because i want equality to
and if it requires woman to not so often be concidered more LOVING or anything along those lines?

im just saying i want equality. people should realise what equality is... and a woman (or an african american for this situation) being able to get a job over a white man who got higher scores on whatever they needed to get the job IS NOT EQUALITY... its a double standard... it's all double standards. why doesnt EVERYONE get treated equal.... wow simple solution. now everyone is treated equal. PLUS the world gets to hear me, or any woman or men who ask for equality, shut up. which i'm sure would be very pleasing.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Experienced User
Why don't you get your information about feminism by reading some feminist literature by educated authors instead of from the Spice Girls.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Experienced User
you
im not basing it off spice girls... ha? funny joke though O.o

either way. i've known some feminists like i said. and they say its about equality... and im just thinkin equality isn't very helpful for woman. i want to see if people agree. that's all.

my turn for a rude comment... lets see.

oh yeah. killbill sucks.... well... no. more the director. kill bill was OKAY. but yeah. i tried. heh.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hey PlacidIntricacy,

If you perform a google scholar search on "gender disparity in the United States" you will find a plethora of studies that discuss the issues of disparity (that means "disproportion").

Women make less money with equal education, they receive less benefits, inadequate medical care, are less likely to be promoted, certain fields disciminate against women even entering in the workforce, women are less likely to be educated, women are denied the right to own land/property, women are discimrinated against in divorce/marriage, etc. "It is estimated that women perform two-thirds of the world’s work, they only earn one tenth of the income, and own less than one per cent of the world’s property". http://www.unicef.org/gender/index_bigpict ure.html

As a result of these and many more reasons, women are more likely to be exploited, abused, and victims of violence.

In all fairness, you must recognize that you incorporated many stereotypes into your original post. I hope that you will explore them and learn more.
|

replied May 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The original and subsequent posts by the original poster show a degree of ignorance regarding the historical context of feminism.

In other words, this guy has no idea how women lived in the not so distant past, and how horrible their lives were because they were considered to be chattel.
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
aochriss wrote:
The original and subsequent posts by the original poster show a degree of ignorance regarding the historical context of feminism.

In other words, this guy has no idea how women lived in the not so distant past, and how horrible their lives were because they were considered to be chattel.

So it is our job to edu-ma-cate. Very Happy
|

replied May 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
lollollol!
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2008
Experienced User
aochriss wrote:

uhhh. okay... in the past. thats right. hints the term REVERSE DISCRIMINATION
|

replied May 20th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
No feminist I know is in favor of randomly kicking anyone in the balls. Generally men that sexually harass, attempt to dominate/demean women or back us into a corner are the ones most of us feminist advocate a ball kicking for. If they think with their privates and dehumanize us because of them it's natural to want to fix their little issue.

There is no such thing as reversed discrimination. Discrimination is flat-out discrimination regardless of who is the target.

My question is, who WOULDN'T want to be a feminist? Not a misanthrope (which is often mislabeled as feminism), but a feminist? What decent human being would not want for women to have equal rights and opportunities? Frankly the stereotyping witch hunt against feminism and those who support it got old a long time ago. I have no respect for the intelligence of anyone that goes by stereotypes created by misogynists to define feminism and its advocates, and I'm sick of repeating to people that simply WON'T LISTEN because they are determined to see feminism as a huge plot concocted by "flannel-wearing, hairy-legged lesbians" (which isn't even an accurate description of most women who actually are gay in the first place) to rid the world of men.

I'm fed up with people telling me that because I won't be a doormat I must hate men. Sorry, no sale. I love men, I married one. I just hate sexist pigs.
|
Users who thank Darkmoon for this post: LucyParr1965 

replied May 20th, 2008
Oh, I forgot to add:

Placid, how about you ask the next black person you see why he or she would want equality. It's interesting to me that people are generally against racism but they have no qualms about assigning lesser rights to people based on gender...which affects all women of all ethnic and religious background worldwide.

Why does anyone want equality? The answer is easy: Because they don't HAVE it. Enjoy your white male privilege and continue to take it for granted while everyone else has to fight for the rights you received by virtue of skin color and genitalia.

Men are more sexually abused than women? Since WHEN? The last time I checked men weren't the primary targets of rape and they didn't require five members of the opposite gender as witnesses in some parts of the world to accuse their attacker, nor are they beaten to death for being the victim of rape. There's a breast club in every town but women have to wait for a Chippendale review to tour their area to get a little objectification of the opposite sex in. I haven't seen any restaurants called "Packages" featuring hot young men wearing tiny shorts but if I want to see waitresses in tiny t-shirts giving me hi-beams I can drive in any direction to find a "Hoo*ers" less than an hour away from my home.

How about those double-standards too? A man can spread his DNA all over the place and nobody gives him flack about it, but single mothers are branded as the devil.

Want immediate medical attention? Well you're in luck, because as a male you can get it without having to answer a hundred questions about your reproductive status, first. You will never be treated as a baby vessel and therefore you will never have anyone trying to press criminal charges against you for smoking a cigarette or having a beer. Legal activities will always be legal for you, but if you were a woman and you decided to have a baby or someone assumed you were having one, people would be trying to criminalize your use of substances and participation of activities that are totally legal for everyone else.

Women get things handed to them? Free drinks (possibly spiked with drugs), sure. More leniency? That depends. Either they are more lenient with us because they think of us as helpless idiots or they're harder on us because we're pregnant.

Society is always either trying to put us on a pedestal or demonize us, when all we feminists really want is to be treated as equal human beings.
|
Users who thank Darkmoon for this post: killbill  aochriss  -Tanya-  LucyParr1965  Beline 

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2008
Experienced User
Darkmoon wrote:
Oh, I forgot to add:

Placid, how about you ask the next black person you see why he or she would want equality. It's interesting to me that people are generally against racism but they have no qualms about assigning lesser rights to people based on gender...which affects all women of all ethnic and religious background worldwide.

Why does anyone want equality? The answer is easy: Because they don't HAVE it. Enjoy your white male privilege and continue to take it for granted while everyone else has to fight for the rights you received by virtue of skin color and genitalia.

Men are more sexually abused than women? Since WHEN? The last time I checked men weren't the primary targets of rape and they didn't require five members of the opposite gender as witnesses in some parts of the world to accuse their attacker, nor are they beaten to death for being the victim of rape. There's a breast club in every town but women have to wait for a Chippendale review to tour their area to get a little objectification of the opposite sex in. I haven't seen any restaurants called "Packages" featuring hot young men wearing tiny shorts but if I want to see waitresses in tiny t-shirts giving me hi-beams I can drive in any direction to find a "Hoo*ers" less than an hour away from my home.

How about those double-standards too? A man can spread his DNA all over the place and nobody gives him flack about it, but single mothers are branded as the devil.

Want immediate medical attention? Well you're in luck, because as a male you can get it without having to answer a hundred questions about your reproductive status, first. You will never be treated as a baby vessel and therefore you will never have anyone trying to press criminal charges against you for smoking a cigarette or having a beer. Legal activities will always be legal for you, but if you were a woman and you decided to have a baby or someone assumed you were having one, people would be trying to criminalize your use of substances and participation of activities that are totally legal for everyone else.

Women get things handed to them? Free drinks (possibly spiked with drugs), sure. More leniency? That depends. Either they are more lenient with us because they think of us as helpless idiots or they're harder on us because we're pregnant.

Society is always either trying to put us on a pedestal or demonize us, when all we feminists really want is to be treated as equal human beings.

Thanks for taking the time to write what I couldn't be bothered to. I just kind of shook my head and moved on but it's really great that you care enough to write all of that because it takes time and effort and thought. I hope the OP reads it and learns a few things.
|

replied May 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
killbill wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to write what I couldn't be bothered to. I just kind of shook my head and moved on but it's really great that you care enough to write all of that because it takes time and effort and thought. I hope the OP reads it and learns a few things.

DITTO.
|

replied May 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: haha
PlacidIntricacy wrote:
nobody seems to understand my point.
Okay so there isnt REVERSE discrimination. it's discrimination. you are right. i just feel like feminists often refer to men as sexist pigs. When isn't that like an entirely sexist comment in itself?

and men are more often sexually ABUSED than woman. woman just take it to the courts a heck of a lot more often. its normal for a woman sexually abuse a man, so why would they even think of taking it to the courts.
(i dont know why i complain about this still, cause personally i really dont think it hurts. and i really do enjoy when girls hit me there. its a nice feeling... ANYWAY...)

What are you talking about? I actually have no idea. How, specifically, are men being sexually abused more than women?
Quote:

oh and by the way those woman at breasts do that be cause they are willing to look slutty for money. it's not any man's fault that those woman work their. THEY ENJOY THE ATTENTION.

if someone offered me $200,000 a year to show off my junk there is no way i'd do it. some men would. im just saying personally i wouldnt.

and no... i consider any man who has sex with multiple people a promiscuous person. just as i do to woman who have sex with multiple people. if they are bad they are bad.
There isnt woman problems, there isnt man problems, there isnt black problems or white problems... THERE IS JUST PEOPLE PROBLEMS!

actually... all of that isn't really my point either.... im just getting way off topic. but basically anyone who says things like...
"Women get things handed to them? Free drinks (possibly spiked with drugs)"
...is a sexist or anything like...
"Either they are more lenient with us because they think of us as helpless idiots or they're harder on us because we're pregnant."
...is also a sexist.

BUT since you are a woman it doesnt count as being sexist because only MEN can be sexist. AS A MAN I WANT TO BE TREATED EQUAL. i want woman to be treated equal aswell. why cant we just take away anything that will apply a difference for either gender (or race, if we are talking about racism aswell)? why cant things actually be equal? why cant men stop being looked at as sex-crazed people with greedy tendencies... and why cant woman stop being looked at as sex-crazed people with selfish tendencies... ITS ALL BASICALLY THE SAME. we are all equal. why cant people just treat us like we are. woman need to stop looking down on men and men need to stop looking down on woman..

Guess what? You are a feminist.
|

replied May 21st, 2008
Take your pedestal out from under my feet; I never required it to stand tall.

Take your crusafix off of my body; I am not a demon.

Take your fear and loathing away from me, if you can access the internet to tell me how vile I am then you can access the internet to research the facts about my gender.

Stop telling me to smile when you take a smile as flirtation and believe that a smile from a woman is a sexual invitation. Tell the men to smile for a change and see where it gets you.

Completely drop all of your dreams and employment credibility in exchange for reproduction, because we all know that mothers are just as valued as fathers in the workforce and nobody is ever going to question their ability to contribute or earn the pay they get over a pregnancy.

Switch places with any female on the planet for one year and I double-dare you to come back and say we shouldn't want equality.
|

replied May 21st, 2008
Oh, and one more thing Placid: It's males like you that convince many of us females to try with all our might to become lesbians.
|

replied May 21st, 2008
Experienced User
I want everyone to be treated equal. But as a woman I especially want to be treated equal in the work place. I do work that around here you just do not typically see women doing (working on farms and the related like). I can not tell you how many times I have gotten to a place of work, gotten out of my car, and saw the look on some of these men's faces when they see I am a woman. Its that smart alec she can't do this, she won't last long out here, why is she even here. And I have to work twice as long and twice as hard to prove that yes I can do anything a man can do. Yes I am told I get recommended to other farmers but at this point it is harder to be taken seriously because I am a woman and there are some that flat out won't hire me to do work I can do simply because I am a woman and they think I am weak.
|
Users who thank RebelCats for this post: PlacidIntricacy 

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2008
Experienced User
haha
haha okay, yeah BIRCH those reports are only there because woman report it like 1 million times more often than men!

And to REBELCATS. thank you! that was the first respectable response i've gotten. it's woman like you who will one day change the world. you should be treated equally. it kinda makes me think back to when i did construction work, people thought i was weak just cause im skinny. but i worked just as hard and did just as much as any of them. You are a good person. i hope you never lose hope. Smile

Filally. to AOCHRISS... you said i am a feminist. and i realise i have feminist veiws. and thats a GOOD thing in my opinion. i just think most feminists tend to say very sexist things and i'm sick of it.
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Placid, I think I understand what you are saying, although I think you are being purposely provocative.

I think that men get a raw deal sometimes because it's fashionable nowadays to belittle men and for women to act superior. I see it all the time in advertising and on TV. I was reading a thread on another forum about the role of women in today's society and the amount of sexist comments on there, against men, was astounding. It went along the lines of "A woman can have children and hold down a full time job as well as keep the house clean and cook the meals but just see a man try and do that ha ha ha!" I get irritated with this because it makes excuses for the weak behaviour of certain men. Crap at doing the washing? Oh it'll be because he's a man bless him.

I think that because woman have been oppressed for so long, there is a kind of backlash and men are getting the sharp end of it. This will continue for a while. The same thing has happened with black people. They were treated like shash for so long that when they finally got the freedom they deserved they naturally turned the tables and took the mick out of white people and were openly very proud of their colour - whole TV shows were devoted to black people ie/ Desmond's, Cosby Show, Fresh Prince. Eventually, (I live in hope), black people and women won't feel the need to wave their 'difference' in others' faces because they will be equal and accepted members of society.
|
Users who thank LucyParr1965 for this post: PlacidIntricacy