Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

why is Thyroid puffy and how long would it last?

User Profile
hello, i have a question, its about my thyroid. i woke up today and it was puffy. and i had some pain with it too. i went to a quick clinic and they said that its 46inch and my left one is 44inch. my question is to you is that why is it puffy and how long would it last? thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2011
Thyroid Cancer Answer A28502
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the puffy slightly painful swelling of thyroid which is called as goitre
A goiter is an enlargement of the thyroid, and is sometimes used as a term to refer to an enlarged thyroid. The thyroid becomes large enough so that it can be seen as enlarged on ultrasounds or x- rays, and may be enlarged enough to enlarge the neck area visibly.
There are few types of goitre such as diffuse smooth goitres and nodular goitres with causes including Grave's disease, thyroiditis (viral),iodine deficiency and side effect of some medicines and nodules in the thyroid etc.
As you have a goitre you might need some blood tests to check if you are making too much or too little thyroxine or T3. Blood tests may also help to find out the cause of some goitres. Other tests may be done to find out the cause of the goitre like ultrasound scan of thyroid, radioactive iodine scan etc.Treatment and recovery time depends on the cause, the size of the goitre, and whether it is causing symptoms.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.