Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Why is my vaginal area itchy, red, and swollen?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Everything was fine until I went to take a shower and my vaginal area was a bit itchy and then it got a bit worse. It is on and off but it happens a lot when I am not busy or not doing anything. I just noticed that it is swelling and red. I do not know what is wrong with me. I had sex two days before it had happened and I know that both of us do not have anything. Does anyone know what is wrong?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2011
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Use of harsh soap can affect the vaginal pH and secretions making it susceptible to infection. Very warm water can also strip off the essential lubricants and cause dryness resulting in itching. Unprotected intercourse can also lead to introduction of infection. If the symptoms have got worse, you should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for examination along with vaginal swab/smear test to confirm/rule out infective cause. Treatment as needed (based on examination and investigations results) would be started to help you control your symptoms. If infective cause is detected, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid tight fitting clothes. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.