Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Why is my father randomly acting and speaking strangely? Help!

Need help! My father is 63 years old. He is experiencing episodes of confusion and he rambles on with rhymes and nonsense. Its a sudden onset and it seems to happen when hes in deep thought. Ive spent the day with him and he was fine all day but woke up this morning in a sort of haze. We brought him to the ER and they did scans and bloodtests and they said he was physically healthy. When he is acting normally he says he knows something is wrong and says he feels that "he cant slow his mind down". They want to treat him for anxiety but i feel as though it is deeper than that because its almost as if he goes into a trance-like state, and he says random things. PLEASE HELP!! Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi Joshualt and welcome to ehealth:...Aging is a confusing time in life...We think we are ready for everything, but we aren't....This new happening can be one that is both troubling and one of deep despair...How do you handle it?....With kindness....If he starts to disappear in thought try to gently bring him back...I send you my best wishes....

Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....