Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

Why is my cat behaving this way?

Got my kitty when he was only 3wks old,this month he will be 1yr and 4mnths.he has always been the sweetest little thng!however,for the past month or so he has become naughty and doing things on purpose.i got new couches about 3wks ago and he bites them and claws them but only when im around,he sometimes bites me for no reason.when we play he gets very exited but to the extent that it looks like he becomes aggresive.we moved to a new apartment and town begin december and it seemed like he adapted well with the new place and other cats.i also had him fixed 3wks ago.can anyone tell me what may cause this behavior and how should i dicipline him without being nasty or to hard on him...hes still a softy hehe.i cant yell at him anymore cus it just makes it worse and then he bites me and im not going to hit him.he gets like this on a daily basis but nt the whole day.i dont get it,i feed him well,give him all the love i have and i take well care of him could it be cus hes spoiled?ANY advice would be appreciated:)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2009
cat behaving badly
sometime cats can be a bit aggressive for what seems no reason at all. But you might think there is no reason but the cat don't see it like that. perhaps something has upset him something like a new smell maybe the sofa has a smell he or she doesn't like . This will threaten the cat as they are very much territorial animals and something that only seems normal to you can be a big threat to such an animal. Try this it might help. get a scratching post and encourage the cat to us it , cat nip or rewards for using it. little cat treats or a bit of love and affection from you usually works but only if he uses the post and not the furniture. If he scratches the furniture try spraying him with a little water but try not to let him see you doing it. This might take a little while but sooner or later he will get the message.Do not punish your cat in any other way he will not understand it and this can cause matters to get worse and make the situation more aggressive . All cats are different and i should know i have had many cats since being very young my parents use to breed them. Each one has it very own personality i have never come across two the same. If he shows aggression towards you best to back off let him cool down don't give him any attention. Cats can be very very affectionate and if you don't show any towards him when he is aggressive he will get the message. Also he is now over 12 months old are there any other cats around especially females neutering usually works and the cat tends to settle down and the loving kitten you saw before returns. This also help with stopping spraying your furniture if mateing season is in swing. Neutering save lots of hassle believe me . Any way good luck and i hope this helps but i would take him to the vets his advice is good i am not an expert but have owned a lot of cats.
|

replied August 27th, 2009
Thats normal- they all go through a stage every one of my cats did.
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2009
Experienced User
they can also be punishing you for being away from them for long periods and want your attention.and if hes the only one he needs a playmate for when your gone i dont know what mine would do without each other.
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
This is his natural urge to dominate other animals. Sadly in your eyes you're another animal that has to respond to his actions. Responce includes yelling at him or other combattive behavior. The best punishment for a cat is the same one for an unruley child, isolate him without attention. For a cat, crate him for about an hour if he behaves badly, do not make eye contact and do not respond to his meows or yowls. Cats don't have much of a sense of time so more time spent in a crate isn't more torturous or effective in punishing bad behavior it just makes him more likely to have an accident in the crate. When you release him be warm but not overly affectionate, give him food and fresh water.
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I wouldn't recommend punishment of any kind for scratching the furniture. He will think you are punishing him for the scratching itself, rather than scratching an inappropriate object. This can lead to a lot of anxiety because the cat can't not scratch. It's as much of a need for them as any other. Rather than punishing, buy not one, but several scratching objects (posts made of sisal rope and those cardboard scratches that cats love so much). Cover them with catnip and put them as close as possible to the places he likes to scratch. If he's scratching the couch, put it next to or even on the couch. Once he gets attached to it, you can slowly move it to a more convenient area. The more he scratches it, the more important it will become to him, so don't think you need to buy a new one once the old becomes ratty. Freshen the catnip once in a while.

With the aggression, back off and ignore him. It may be a signal that he's done playing and he's now annoyed. Crate him or put him in a room alone for a while (that might be easier because getting an aggravated cat into a crate might be difficult).

If some event triggered the behavior, it may subside over time. It could have also been him reaching maturity without being fixed (a year and 3 months is kind of late).
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2009
Experienced User
they make a product called soft paws you get at the vet or online you glue plastic covers over their nails its harmless and saves your furnitur they work great and fall off when the nails grow out try this .befor you put the poor thing in a crate this may traumitize it if she is not strong willed. good luck
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The crating should only be done for the aggression, not the scratching. I want to make that clear. Like I said, scratching should not be punished (unless it's of a person or another animal, then a time-out is in order).

I've seen those plastic tips at the store, but I never thought of using them because my cat doesn't even like her nails being trimmed. I don't think she would sit there and have something glued on. Are they hard to put on? About how long do they last? Does the cat try to chew them off? Is the glue like regular nail glue or is it something else?
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2009
Experienced User
this is fairly simple to do. clip the cats nails place a dab of glue into the cap and place over top nail. the glue comes with them and is safe. they even come in pretty colors they make them for dogs tooo. if you have someone to help just have them hold the cats scruff while you cut and glue. if you cant your vet can do this for you or a tech. i did them all the time at the vet. my cats lasted a month so pretty good and after a whilr the urge goes away. also ive kept cardbord boxes laid out under my beds for years and my cats always loved it. i even keep an open box in the bedroom for them to crawl in and scratch on they use it constantly so try that too. good luck ask me anything i will help if i can
|

replied October 11th, 2009
Because you got him at only 3 weeks old, he wasn't able to learn proper social skills. Kittens should remain with their mothers and litter mates until they are 10-12 weeks - this time is like kitty schooling. At three weeks old, he was barely even playing with his siblings and it takes a rough play session for kittens to learn what is too much. To train him to stop this, do not yell at him. Instead, cry a high, sharp "ow" and turn away from him, ignoring him for 2 whole minutes. Then continue the play session. Every time he uses his nails or mouth, even if it doesn't hurt, give the same reaction. Within a week, he'll stop. By two weeks, it'll never happen again.
For him scratching your furniture...does he have a scratching post? Cats must scratch, and it's their nature to do so, to remove the old nail sheath. Cats nail should be clipped once a month to avoid health issues. (Your cat probably hates this, but you can still do it. Have someone hold him on their lap with his back facing them, they should put one arm around his stomach and their other locking him in place on his other side with their hand palming the nape of his neck. You will then hold his paw, give it a squeeze, and clip closely to the quick. For back paws, someone will have to hold him like a baby, one hand holding front paws, the other holding his stomach while you clip.) To entice him to use a scratching post you will have to show him. Literally, scratch it like you're a cat then place his paws on it. If he scratches, praise him. If he doesn't, rub some catnip or meat bouillon on it and try again. You will want to remove him each time you catch him scratching an undesired area and place him on the scratching post. To deter him from your couch or anywhere he scratches, line the area with double-sided tape. Cats hate this feeling and will associate it with the area, not you. Never yell at your cat. They have no idea why you're yelling, but you can make them angry and angry cats have a way of retaliating. Under no circumstances should your cat be declawed. Declawing is painful and can cause permanent physical and mental damage. Everything can be corrected with a little time and patience.
|

replied January 19th, 2010
Experienced User
Go get 'Green Bitter Apple' from your vets office. Spray this on the furniture (after testing an area for fabric safety). They hate the smell. Don't pin up your cat. Teach them not to do it. I went on a vacation once and had a great caregiver come over to care for my cat. I laughed so hard when I got home, my cat took one look at me and turned his back to me and sat down with his ears back. He was ticked off. He got over it in a day. Then he was all loves again. They have their moods and they really really do not like new smells. It is likely someone sat on or touched this furniture that the cat does not like for what ever it is they are smelling coming from this unknown person. One thing you can do is lay on it alot to put your scent on it. That should calm em down. Good Luck,
bamm
|