Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Cloning and Stem Cell Debate Forum

Why I believe stem cell research freaks some people out...

User Profile
Stem cells are an amazing discovery! There is TREMENDOUS power in their potential to change the world and that alone makes a lot of people nervous. Who isn't a little afraid of powerful changes? First of all, the more we learn about stem cells, the more we're going to need. Preliminary research has been so promising that it's almost a sure thing. Once we figure out how to use them, the demand for stem cells will be staggering and frankly, there just won't be enough aborted fetuses, umbilical cords, and frozen embryos to go around. Then what? Scientists will have to start creating life solely for the purpose of ending it. Since I don't subscribe to the "human hypocrisy," I'm no more uncool with that idea than hatching chickens just to eat 'em.

Another thing that worries many people is the idea that if we perfect the use of stem cells, life expectancies could skyrocket and that's only a good thing on the surface. Overpopulation would become a HUGE problem and babies suddenly wouldn't be as welcome anymore, increasing the motivation for abortion which would in turn feed the stem-cell demand. Frankly, this scenario does freak me out a little because things like this could snowball in a hurry... anyone else wanna chime in?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2009
Experienced User
Now that I've had time to mull it over a few minutes, it could be kind of cool in the long run. Perhaps the biggest obstacle to human accomplishment is that we don't quite live long enough individually to grow and learn as a whole. In the grand scheme of things, every life is fleeting, but what if we could change that? What if we actually learned to clone a few thousand embryos and slap the stem cells on whatever started falling apart as we got old? We could theoretically live forever. It's very deep stuff!
|

replied October 10th, 2011
indeed but for those who are against the stem cell research I wish them have continuous back pain every single day and then I would ask him why he doesn't do all of us a favor to kill himself so we can have enough space on earth. Anyway he would be productive as the pain would kill his appetite for almost everything.
|

replied January 17th, 2013
a lot of people are skeptic about stem cell research specially those religious fanatics claiming that all forms of cloning is an abomination
|