Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

Why do so many people leave pets outside? (Page 1)

Ok...I'm really baffled by the fact that so many people choose to leave theirs pets outside, 24/7.... especialy in extreme weather conditions. I view my 2 dogs (and even my husband's cat...lol) as members of the family and regardless of the weather, I want them inside where I know they are safe and comfortable. I've known some people who use the excuse, "oh but my dog is just too big to be inside". Hmmm....tell that to Dog 1 (50 lbs) and Dog 2 (70 lbs), who at this moment are both leisurely stretched across my new leather sofa, which they decided to claim as their's on the day it was delivered! Wink Wink All jokes aside, It really breaks my heart to see pets treated as lawn decor, exsposed to the elements, and in danger of poisioning by cruel neighbors who have grown tired of their barking and crying. One of my neighbors is notorious for leaving his poor dog outside even when weather conditions are aweful. It saddens me, and many other neighbors as well, many of whom have mentioned to him that the dog needs to go in. His excuse for not allowing the dog in.... because it's a hunting dog and if he brings it in, it may become lazy and forget it's training! Yeah...that dosen't fly with me. Yesterday, I saw him getting the mail, and casualy mentioned that we were having a hard freeze tonight, so he might want to keep his dog indoors. His response..."Nah...he's got a fur coat." Sick, sick, sick. I left a message with the local humane society today notifying them of the problem....I hope they can maybe talk some sense into him, but I doubt it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper wendy2345
|

replied January 18th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
Surprised that nobody else has an opinion about this??????
|

replied April 4th, 2013
Unless you have the dogs solely to guard your property or livestock, I don't much see the point of having a dog if you don't want them living with and around you with you in the home. Seems rather pointless. Dogs are social animals and enjoy being with their families, for the most part.

Same with cats or any other animals that I can fit indoors. Why would I want a cat if I didn't want it living with me? If I'm just going to put it outside, I may as well not even have a cat.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Oh its extremely frustrating..thats one thing that I absolutely have no toleration for...mistreating a poor animal who has done NOTHING to you but love...i watch animal cops a good bit and it truly breaks my heart to see how some people mistreat the poor animals..i once saw a weiner dog one episode..the man got upset at the dog..its a wonder the thing survived..one way or another the dogs eye got busted up, and you would think..after being SO horribly abused the thing would be defensive and agressive..nope...even after the abuse the poor thing had been put through he was the most calm, sweet thing...seeing this show actually inspired my boyfriend and I to look into adoption..there are just SO many pets out there that are homeless..we looked for weeks and talked about it for a good long while until we came around this adorable mutt that we fell in LOVE with before we even met him...apparently he was picked up off the streets with his mother and brothers and sisters..he cracks us up daily, he is just the funniest most loving thing..our pets stay indoors too! they are a part of the family!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Sadly enough, I feel your pain. Over the summer we moved into the neighborhood. Our neighbor's dog is left outside 24/7. Apparently it has on one of those wireless fence collars because it only goes so far. It barks on us in the morning when we leave for work, and barks when we return. A couple of times it has actually frightened my young children when we have come in when it was dark. It doesn't matter the weather, the time of day, the dog is ALWAYS out there. I just wonder why have a pet if you're not going to take care of it and provide a proper home for it (this poor dog doesn't even have a doghouse to protect him from the elements). Puppy's are always cute, but some people don't seem to understand they grow up to be dogs. And yes, we have two dogs of our own, and yes, they are members of our family. And most the time, they're better behaved than our children Smile
|

replied January 19th, 2009
I used to watch animal cops too, but it became so depressing to me. It did inspire my husband and I to rescue Dog 1, who was a stray, that had obvioulsy been abused. Our other dog was given to me many years ago by a family friend who's new baby was extremely allergic to her. They are both such a joy in our lives and I could not imagine what we would do with out them. To Sundowner....I agree that dogs are better behaved then most children! When people ask us when we'r going to "start a family" hubby and just laugh and say "What do you mean??? We already have children....their just a lot hairier than yours and walk on all fours". On the subject of my neighbor's dog...the humane society returned my call and said that they would investigate the situation, so hopeful things will improve. One positive is that it has warmed up considerably so at least the poor dog isn't freezing.
|

replied January 24th, 2009
Bad news...the humane society visited my neighbor and said that they were told that he kept his dog indoors! He even showed them the "dog bed" in his heated garage......this is all B.S. I'm going to start making videos of the poor dog outside.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
People who keep their dogs or cats outside all of the time really are not pet owners. Dogs or Cats who are strictly outside do not really get the companionship that they should have when they are kept outside. It is inhumane to keep animals outside during extreme weather and temperatures... animal control and your local humane society should be contacted if you witness any of this. Pictures are always the best thing to do when you witness this.

It ticks me off when I see people who let their animals be outside all of the time or live only in the garage... then don't have a dog or cat!!!
|

replied September 6th, 2009
Three neglected dogs
Our neighbors also leave their THREE dogs outside 24/7 in a metal fenced in enclosure. They bragged to us when they moved in that all three were "rescued". From what, I wonder? While the dogs are fed and have water, there are only two doghouses for the three of them, and they NEVER have any kind of affection or even attention from their owners. They've lived here since June and not once have I seen any of them taken for a walk. They are basically ignored and left on their own. I go back and forth between being very sad, extremely angry and completely dumbfounded as to how people could treat their dogs this way. As a Humane Society volunteer, I know there are plenty of dogs in worse situations, but honestly, I can't imagine a worse fate for a dog than being unloved.
|
Users who thank nitesky for this post: lele25 

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2009
Supporter
I think it's too easy to purchase or adopt a pet. Too many people take these poor dogs and just use them to protect their property with no concern for the dogs' well-being. Dogs want to be loved and treated as they are a part of the family. I had a neighbor living behind me who was watching a little poodle for a friend. They had the dog tied to the back sliding glass door. Their son kept opening and shutting the door as it was pulling on the dogs neck. I guess he was frustrated because the dog was barking. I witnessed this poor dog being thrown back and forth by it's neck as he opened and closed the door. I got so upset that I ran into the house and called the police dept. who of course informed me that I had to call animal services. However, they did ask me for the address and I noticed later that they were visited by the sheriff's office. After that I never saw the dog again. Personally, I can't watch Animal Cops because it upsets me too much. However, I do think that the law needs to be harder on people when they abuse animals.
|

replied January 19th, 2010
Experienced User
Most states require by law that an animal is provided adaquate shelter if they are to be outside. A simple call to the pound will have the law telling that to the owner. All calls are or can be anomyous
bamm
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2010
I myself cannot watch anything with animal abuse; it is too much for me to watch and absorb. And animals outside? Not a chance, not in the extreme hot or cold; not for long periods, just out for a bit; my animals have all been indoor dogs; even if they are really furry and can take it. I have a baby acting really big pit mix that cannot tolerate the outdoors in any extreme weather aside to use it to relieve her self. I am so tempted to buy her a down coat, just for our walks and her going out to relieve herself, but I believe people would laugh! LOL My as well make it pink for my 90 lb. Pit-mix!
|

replied December 30th, 2010
Hmmmm...
It is horrible to treat another living creature badly. But some of you act as if animals are more important than children. There is no other creature on this planet that should be more important than an actual human being. I hope you guys get your priorities straight. Like I said, no creature God created should be treated badly. It is wrong. But, I hope you all are as enthusiastic when you see children who are mistreated as well. And to say that some animals act better than children is cold. If a child is misbehaving it is the parent's fault not the child! Wouldn't you say the same if a dog was taught to fight by their owner? Let's keep things in perspective.
|

replied January 20th, 2011
Experienced User
Re: Hmmmm...
wendy2345 wrote:
It is horrible to treat another living creature badly. But some of you act as if animals are more important than children. There is no other creature on this planet that should be more important than an actual human being. I hope you guys get your priorities straight. Like I said, no creature God created should be treated badly. It is wrong. But, I hope you all are as enthusiastic when you see children who are mistreated as well. And to say that some animals act better than children is cold. If a child is misbehaving it is the parent's fault not the child! Wouldn't you say the same if a dog was taught to fight by their owner? Let's keep things in perspective.

I'd hate to break this to you dollface but many animals DO act better then most children and it has to do with the owners/parents! Many animal owners are very loving and kind with their pets yet they are not afraid to discipline their pets(in humane ways) when they start to misbehave yet far too many parents nowadays(I call them UP which means Useless Parents) are too scared to use the word "no" around their child let alone discipline them and they let them do whatever they want "because they are just children". Many parents today just want children for the sake of saying they have a kid yet they don't want to actually parent the child. Instead, they want to be the kid's best friend.

Also, things here ARE in perspective! What makes you think that humans are the best things to walk this planet? We are destroying it with pollution not to mention overpopulating it and more often then not, we are to blame for animals going extinct. That doesn't sound very good to me.

If I had to choose over a child or an animal, the animal would get my vote easily. For one, I care more about animals because children annoy the $&%# out of me and second, if an animal and a child were being mistreated in anyway, the child would get help long before the animal would which as far as I'm concerned, is wrong because BOTH should get help, not just the one that happens to be human. Animals deserve far more love and respect then they are given which is why I will always side with animals.

If you don't like the fact that many people out there love animals so much then it's best that you avoid such threads because this is not the place for you. If you want to preach about how great humans are then go find a pro-life thread to post in.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied January 20th, 2011
wendy2345 wrote:

For the most part I agree with you.

Though I'm unsure if I can say one is more important than the other, the value perhaps for most would go to humans (not sure if I'm saying this right).

Most people if in a situation if having to chose between a pet and a human, say in an emergency fire etc, would pick the human.

What my pet peeve is, clearly animals cannot take care of humans in the same manner as we can do for them. That is why when I see so much being put towards animals instead of humans I cringe. Animals are not the problem. Humans are.

It's a band aid fix on a gushing wound(in my eyes) to focus on animals. When if we focused on humans/children, to put the time into proper upbringings etc, they would grow to have the morals to respect animals as equals.

I cannot fathom the idea of donating time and money towards animals if you have the same available resources to help a child grow up to be able to respect the earth and what inhabits it.

That is also not to say to turn a blind eye to any kind of cruelty to any creature.
|

replied January 21st, 2011
Experienced User
DotCom wrote:
What my pet peeve is, clearly animals cannot take care of humans in the same manner as we can do for them. That is why when I see so much being put towards animals instead of humans I cringe. Animals are not the problem. Humans are.

It's a band aid fix on a gushing wound(in my eyes) to focus on animals. When if we focused on humans/children, to put the time into proper upbringings etc, they would grow to have the morals to respect animals as equals.

Here's the problem with what you've said.

Humans are the problem, yes I agree with that to an extent but there are many humans who have had a great upbringing and still ended up turning into jerks by thinking s/he can hurt other living creatures(meaning animals) because they think they are better then any other type of life on this planet. The reason many people are like this because more often then not, they have this false illusion of humans being the best thing to grace this planet when if anything this planet would be better off without humans. Then there are those who do not abuse animals but feel that only humans should be helped and nothing else because they are too self-centered to think of anything but their own species. They are almost as bad as those who abuse animals, IMHO.

I'm more apt to help animals because far too often they are overlooked and sometimes when help does arrive, it's too late. Just look at how animals are abused everyday by humans and compare that abuse to what a child may endure if they are in an abusive situation. The animals often fare far more worse the the child because they are often seen as "lower" forms of life. I will agree that both types of abuse are wrong but I'd be more willing to help the animal because children get far more help when it comes to everything then animals do so I'd rather much spend the time and energy to help those who literally do not have a voice to speak up about this.

Also, who says that animals cannot take care of humans? Just because they may not do so in the exact same manner as humans it doesn't mean they don't take care of them. Do you know how many people's lives have been greatly improved and enriched because of animals? A wonderful and meaningful improvement that no human has ever been able to do for someone? Just ask anyone who rescues animals from abusive homes and streets and rehabilitate them for loving homes. Those animals as well as pets who are given love from day one bring so much to their humans that most people who are too focused on human life are too blind to see. A good example of this is when it comes to elderly people who have been abandoned by their family because they are seen as a "burden" to them. When they have an animal in their life to look after and love, they suddenly have a new lease on life because not only do they love that pet but the pet loves them back.

Just do a search on how often pets have helped their owners in emergency situations. Animals that have had no training whatsoever have helped owners from burning buildings, warned them of impending danger or tried to get help for them when the owner suffered from an accident. Animals do help in many ways but again, if a person is too blind to see it, they will never acknowledge it.

That and look at the difference between a relationship between a pet and a person whether it be a child, spouse, friend, etc. How often do animals get angry at you for stupid things the way humans are notorious for doing? Playing the blame game, mistrust, throwing accusations around because of insecurities are just a few of many examples of what humans not only do to loved ones but sometimes lose those people because of it. How often do animals do that to the owners that they love? Animals don't judge their owners when they put on weight or struggle with a disability and they stay by your side through thick and thin whereas with humans, you never know if they will stay for the long haul or leave you at the drop of a hat for something more easier or convenient. Animals are truly capable of unconditional love where many humans are not because they are too focused on themselves or other frivolous things to truly care about another person no matter what gets thrown their way.

Those are just a few of the many reasons why I would help animals over humans. Smile
|

replied January 21st, 2011
Red_Rose wrote:
Here's the problem with what you've said.

Humans are the problem, yes I agree with that to an extent but there are many humans who have had a great upbringing and still ended up turning into jerks by thinking s/he can hurt other living creatures(meaning animals) because they think they are better then any other type of life on this planet. The reason many people are like this because more often then not, they have this false illusion of humans being the best thing to grace this planet when if anything this planet would be better off without humans. Then there are those who do not abuse animals but feel that only humans should be helped and nothing else because they are too self-centered to think of anything but their own species. They are almost as bad as those who abuse animals, IMHO.

I'm more apt to help animals because far too often they are overlooked and sometimes when help does arrive, it's too late. Just look at how animals are abused everyday by humans and compare that abuse to what a child may endure if they are in an abusive situation. The animals often fare far more worse the the child because they are often seen as "lower" forms of life. I will agree that both types of abuse are wrong but I'd be more willing to help the animal because children get far more help when it comes to everything then animals do so I'd rather much spend the time and energy to help those who literally do not have a voice to speak up about this.

Also, who says that animals cannot take care of humans? Just because they may not do so in the exact same manner as humans it doesn't mean they don't take care of them. Do you know how many people's lives have been greatly improved and enriched because of animals? A wonderful and meaningful improvement that no human has ever been able to do for someone? Just ask anyone who rescues animals from abusive homes and streets and rehabilitate them for loving homes. Those animals as well as pets who are given love from day one bring so much to their humans that most people who are too focused on human life are too blind to see. A good example of this is when it comes to elderly people who have been abandoned by their family because they are seen as a "burden" to them. When they have an animal in their life to look after and love, they suddenly have a new lease on life because not only do they love that pet but the pet loves them back.

Just do a search on how often pets have helped their owners in emergency situations. Animals that have had no training whatsoever have helped owners from burning buildings, warned them of impending danger or tried to get help for them when the owner suffered from an accident. Animals do help in many ways but again, if a person is too blind to see it, they will never acknowledge it.

That and look at the difference between a relationship between a pet and a person whether it be a child, spouse, friend, etc. How often do animals get angry at you for stupid things the way humans are notorious for doing? Playing the blame game, mistrust, throwing accusations around because of insecurities are just a few of many examples of what humans not only do to loved ones but sometimes lose those people because of it. How often do animals do that to the owners that they love? Animals don't judge their owners when they put on weight or struggle with a disability and they stay by your side through thick and thin whereas with humans, you never know if they will stay for the long haul or leave you at the drop of a hat for something more easier or convenient. Animals are truly capable of unconditional love where many humans are not because they are too focused on themselves or other frivolous things to truly care about another person no matter what gets thrown their way.

Those are just a few of the many reasons why I would help animals over humans. Smile

When I said upbringing I meant that in a very broad term and it was followed by etc for a reason. Upbringing as a whole as in programs/activities/extra curricular/counselling/social programs/childcare/education/security..... . etc Wink As in aides from outside influences as well as inside.

To be honest, though I'm sure they are out there, I have yet to meet someone who had a healthy upbringing with a healthy balance of love and discipline and the proper mental/educational (etc) stimulus that children need, grow up to have a disrespect for animals.

While we all know many people are self centered, some people (like myself) feel its more prudent to help give adults the right tools to raise children and feel its more productive to say for example help 10 children grow up in a healthy environment with say an outcome of, hell lets just say 1 child out of the ten growing up to respect all living creatures, is better than saving 1 cat, especially when that 1 child of the 10 could be more than just one allowing the chain of abuse to stop and the chain of respect to start for further generations which would save many more than one cat Wink

Children in need are horribly overlooked. You don't have to go to countries where children starve to death to see this. You can look in your own backyard. Child services can do very little for children and can generally only step in under extreme circumstances.

For example, mental abuse is horribly overlooked and its very rare a child will be removed from the home with mental abuse. As for physical, even that has to be extreme with bruises/broken bones/blood..... Shoving your child around or open handed smacks on the face are very hard to prove.

Even when a child is removed from a bad home, they more often than not get stuck in the system of foster care where many are only doing this for the money, so they continue to be negleted in one way or another...... But animals when removed generally end up in loving homes more often than not because people are willing to help out a dog or a cat but not a human whom without help will generally breed down this cycle of disrespect/violence/mental issues etc.

Many children also do not have a voice and do not know how to stand up for themselves out of fear/guilt etc.

Also, I never said animals cannot take care of humans. What I said is - clearly animals cannot take care of humans in the same manner as we can do for them.

I am well aware of the joy and happiness that animals bring to the lives of others.
A child cannot care for an adult in the same way adults can care for children. Yet children can be a blessing a joy and focal point of life for many. With that comes a huge responsibility as well as with animals, and I personally would rather focus my energy on helping people to have the ability to be responsible and caring towards others, humans and animals alike. As generally ones mindset breeds down the generations. To me, helping a cat/dog or 1 human to pass down respect and love to all, including the pets these people may have in life is far more worth it to me.

I am a nurse and I see far too often when people abandon others, especially the elderly, for their own selfish needs. I suppose my line of thinking, is if someone had been able to help this elderly persons family or a friend of this person etc, instead of a cat/dog, perhaps this elderly person could have had the joy and love of both types of companionship.

I love hearing stories of animals helping humans. But then it's a pretty crappy reminder that humans don't help other humans in the same manner because they are far too selfish and can't handle it imo.

The last bit you posted about how often animals get angry/blame/mistrust etc, is only another reminder to me that humans need help. A lot of help. Jealous/insecure/angry/lonely/proud/greedy /fearful/selfish. Again, to me, saving a panda is not gonna stop this cycle of mindset in humans. And IMO if we don't look to change ourselves and help one another we will destroy this earth and all the animals in it and in the end it will be a pointless debate Wink

As with you, just my opinion. Smile
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
You are a fantastic person. I have always considered my dogs as members of the family like the kids except they are furry. More than one time I have woken up pushed to the edge of the bed and a critter sleeping in the middle (sometimes snoring).
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2012
I live in a tropical country, Jamaica. Pets stay outside. Some persons allow them inside during the day. Personally my 3 dogs sleep outside. If its the rainy season or it's a cooler month like December they sleep indoors. Right now they are in my bedroom while I'm on the computer.
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2012
I live in a tropical country, Jamaica. Pets stay outside. Some persons allow them inside during the day. Personally my 3 dogs sleep outside. If its the rainy season or it's a cooler month like December they sleep indoors. Right now they are in my bedroom while I'm on the computer.
|

replied September 27th, 2012
To each his own
Although you won't like it, I am one of those people that keep their pets outside. I have 2 large dogs and they each have ridiculously lavish (porches, drywall, insulation, paint, baseboards, carpeting, windows, etc.) in the large backyard of my house that is strictly for humans. I don't believe in animals and people living in the same space and that's just that. I feed them and walk them in the morning then go about my day and when I get back home I feed them and play with them some more. When I don't feel like being with the dogs anymore I go back in the house and they still have each other. Just because its not what you would do doesn't mean I am a bad owner or uncaring; my boundaries are just different.
|