Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vegetarian Diet Forum

Why do people criticize vegetarians? (Page 1)

User Profile
We were talking about this in another topic, but i just wanted some more insight....

why do you think people criticize vegetarians for whatever reason they decide to? It seems like almost anyone who I talk to and know I am a vegetarain (besides other vegetarians) always criticizes me for it.
I cant figure it out, I dont criticize them for some of the personal decisions they make.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
I think b/c they are afraid of change. Anyone who does anything different is up for public scorn. And a majority of people who eat a Western diet based their food aroud "meat and potatoes". So I think that the haters are actually afraid of trying something different (ie. vegetarian diet) and displace this fear and create anger.

But also, I think people like feeling superior.
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I made the mistake of getting soy milk AFTER I went and got my food at the eating commons and stood in line with some sausage and eggs on my plate. Unfortunately there were some girls in line who wanted to make sure I knew how unhealthy my choices were, then they were so kind as to let me know in detail how sausage was made. And incase I didn't really get what they were saying, they slipped a fun PETA brochure into my backpack (I have a broken clasp so I can't close the smallest section) so I could read more about it when I got back to my dorm I suppose.

I don't criticize anyone for their choice of food-- I just get annoyed and uncomfortable when I'm bothered about my choice. I mean, I have just gotten done with morning practice and I was starving, I would have eaten pine cones if thats what they were serving.

I know all vegans don't do that, but when I think of vegans, I think of how I felt when I was in line for that disgusting soy milk. (Speaking of, whoever mentioned rice milk before in another forum.... THANK YOU!)
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I just started buying organic soy milk. I just put it on my cereal for now. I also buy the flavoured (vanilla). I figure it's a start. Little changes are the best way for me. I still eat my steak occassionally, but I try eating more veggies and fruit as well. We have started eating way less red meat than we used to.
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2008
sorry you had a bad experience maddie, i dont criticize people who eat meat either, i think it is just a personal opinion if you decide to eat it or not.

I love soy milk on cereal, i am not a fan of just drinking it though. little changes are always good, i just decided ine day I was done with meat and that was the end of it, i am slowly eatingless eggs and milk but that is the tranisition part for me.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2008
Experienced User
Right. I did the same with coffee. I still have 1-2 per week. But deciding you're done with something and making the internal change is what's important... but back on track ...

Why are people so critical of vegetarians?
|

replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Anyone who does not follow the mainstream is up for general criticism. That does not make it ok but many people are simply not comfortable with the unknown.

Forget what others think. Be true to yourself. People have hang ups and there is no argument that will change them. Ignore the negative stuff. Be yourself and do what is right for you. There is no explanation for poor behavior in people.
|
Users who thank antigone for this post: coliejo 

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2008
well put antigone!
|
Users who thank coliejo for this post: antigone 

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
They may just be jealous because they can not discipline themselves like others. I'm not a vegetarian, but I think it would be a very healthy way of life and I admire ones that can have the discipline or even just don't care for meat.
Some people don't like certain foods but that doesn't mean they should be criticized for it.
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Supporter
I think that some vegetarians, too, can tend to be a little snobby and higher-than-thou at times. This is by no means a general statement. But perhaps vegetarians need to look at and examine their level of preach-y-ness. This might turn people off and increase criticism for the movement in general.
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Advanced Support Team
people often criticize that which the cannot understand. for that reason it is often wiser to not advertise one's preferences or beliefs (especially since these are things that are themselves susceptible to change).

the preachyness that rooter is referring to is how people perceive the expression of an uncommon belief (otherwise it just goes by the side as a statement of the obvious Smile.
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2008
Supporter
I can’t speak for Americans, but in South Africa and Australia meat is consumed in huge proportions - often 3 times per day. Bacon and eggs for breakfast, toasted ham and cheese for lunch, and lamb chops for dinner to give an example.

People are conditioned to eat this way. And with society’s lack of tolerance for extremists, vegetarians are often seen as ‘making a statement’.

I’m vegan for health reasons, and believe you me - I don’t advertise this. People just don’t understand that one can actually be healthy if you eat healthily.
But anyway, the point I’m trying to make is that anything out of the ordinary is too much to handle for most people. I think it has a lot to do with one's social IQ.
|
Users who thank Beline for this post: coliejo 

replied August 25th, 2008
me too
I am not actually a vegetarian, since I do eat fish occasionally, but I have gotten a lot of flack for it. I live in Kentucky, and there are a lot of meat eaters out here. I don't preach about what people should or shouldn't eat, but I do get scoffed at now and then for my choices and told how unhealthy they are. I personally don't eat meat other than fish for many reasons, fortunately, there are many new restaurants opening up that have lots of vegetarian items. Anyhow, I understand how it feels to be treated like an outsider just for your eating choices.
|

replied October 26th, 2008
They are ignorant. It has been drilled in our heads since we were 2 feet tall that we must have flesh to survive. Its simply not true. Being veg also gets a bad rap because people use the term to cover up their eating disorder. All you can do is have patience and educate people when they give you crap.
|

replied November 17th, 2008
I'm a vegetarian on ethical principles and I find that this reason gets quite a bit of criticism from people (including my own family sometimes *rolls eyes*). People can't quite comprehend why I've chosen to do it but for me I just don't want to eat animals anymore -- I know not I'm single-handedly saving entire herds of animals or making any big change to how people view the treatment and killing of animals for food, but it's my personal choice. It's this last that annoys me the most -- people can't seem to grasp the idea of individuals wanting to make their own choice about their own bodies.

It also annoys me sometimes because I'm not even a preachy vegetarian, as it were. I don't say anything to anyone about their eating meat, I don't even have the inclination to do so; I just wish it would be reciprocated.
|

replied March 5th, 2009
Re: Criticism
In my experience, most people criticise vegetarians because they seem to feel threatened. It seems to be some sort of macho thing. I love pointing out that a 600lb gorilla is a vegetarian, and maybe the would-be critic would like to take it up with him?
|

replied August 24th, 2009
Too funny...when I tell people I'm a vegetarian, they get this pitying look on their faces and say, "What do you eat?" Yes, it is drilled in everyone's head from an early age that you HAVE to eat meat to survive. What a crock!

I became a veggie overnight after viewing a slaughterhouse video. The way the animals are treated is just heart-breaking!

I just returned from a trip to Tijuana where I go to a doctor. There in the office, I was ridiculed by the meat eaters, one insisting that "we're carnivores because we have 'canines'." That's just the name of the teeth in our mouth, like molars and wisdom, etc. (I didn't see any fangs protruding from this guy's mouth.)

Meantime, these people were all sick, had a lot of health problems. Duh... I have none.

Yeah, love comment by Whitehorse...definitely macho, like "real men eat meat."

I love to use that fact about the vegetarian animals...especially when they start this crap that you have to eat meat for your strength (how many times have I heard THAT one?). Uh, elephants, gorillas, rhinos, horses, uh, I think they're pretty darn strong.

People are just a bunch of sheep, can't think on their own.
|

replied September 15th, 2009
Why people are hostile to vegetarians and vegans
The meat and dairy industries have been distributing lies to the media for decades. Milk does not do the body good, unless you are a calf! For humans, cow milk is unnatural and factory farms pump them full of hormones and antibiotics. And the slaughterhouses are barbaric.

Therefore, given these very "inconvinient truths" the hostility towards vegetarians and vegans is absolutely about ignornace and fear of change. I think more, not less, vegetarians and vegan, should take the risk and speak their minds.

Remember, that most of the world doesn't know that factory farms are the leading cause of global warming. And these hell-holes are the cause of swine and avain flu, and madcow disease, that spread to humans. Sadly, the mainstream corporate media sweeps this under the carpet. We need to get educated, for the people, animals, and environment.
|

I so agree with you, DarwinKnewTheTruth...

I wear my button everywhere and get comments about it. So then I start throwing some of the many facts about this cruel industry at them. I can be known to be somewhat outspoken. Furthermore...I don't really care if people get angry at me. Or think I'm crazy. Or anything else...

I met Ingrid Newkirk a couple months ago and told her, "I never leave home without it" (speaking of my button). She said good, keep talking to people.

I just believe it is morally repugnant to torture, brutalize, and slaughter helpless, gentle animals who have never harmed any of us. Simply put.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I'm not a vegetarian but I would never criticize someone for being one. I only envy your willpower. There has been much research and people who are vegetarians are much healthier than people who aren't. According to statistics, most people who are vegans don't have to worry much about cancer. So don't listen to those ignorant people who make fun of your healthy eating habits. Let them know that you'll probably live longer than them. It has also been stated that meat is loaded with steroids and hormoneswhich are shot into the animals. It's not a good thing and has also been considered to be contributed to growing problems in teens today.
|
Quick Reply