Medical Questions > Relationships > Family Relationships Forum

Why do I hate my dad so much?

So I've lived with my mom for almost 17 years. While I was living with her, I would have to visit my dad every other weekend. But he sometimes I would tell me he was coming to get and have me with my bad packed ready to go to find out he wasn't coming to get me and not even calling to let me know. I hated his wife and the kids, so when I started to get older I would avoid going over there telling him I had plans with my mom or my friends. Once he finally got a divorce I was so happy but for some reason I still didn't want to visit him anymore. I was in 7th grade by now. So then in the 8th grade he found a new significant other, I liked her she seemed nice. I went over their a house at least 1 weekend every two months. Once I hit Freshmen they got married and I guess I was excited for him. But during that time me and my mother's relationship started to get even tighter and closer. I loved being with my mom all the time. If she wanted to go out, I was the first one to go with her. We are like a tag team. Then my dad and his spouse told me they were having a baby. I was so pissed because I didn't want another sibling at all. Once my little sister was born I got over it. But money got tight and my mom sent me to live with my dad,stepmom, and half sister for my Junior and Senior because she cannot afford a 2 bedroom apartment with her income. My mom thinks it's a great idea that me and my dad could build a a better relationship but her idea was not so great. We don't see eye to eye about anything. It's like I can't do anything right for him or I do nothing to make him proud. Just something is constantly wrong with me. I never talk back, I do what I need to do and thats it. But ever since I moved in with him my grades aren't that good and I've been more depressed and upset than I normally am. I can't talk to him without him jumping in or yelling at me. The other day he yelled at me to get off the phone because I have to be off of it at 930 and it was 925. Then he yelled at me to go do the dishes and he came in and pushed me a little bit and I banged the pot againsta bowl and told me to stop banging the dishes. I had enough and yelled back saying I didnt do on purpose and I hate when he yells at me and all he could say was I don't CARE!! That night I went to bed crying and stayed up all night crying. Then he sent me a text saying " still love ya". I just can't stand living here anymore and I cannot stand being around his presence anymore. What Do I Do? I NEED SOME ADVICE i'm SO UPSET AND IDK WHAT TO DO AT THIS POINT ANYMORE.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 6th, 2012
many of teens are like u. i hate my dad too. he really dont care about m conditions. my age. my favorite. my privacy......
he slap me. he fights with me. he says ad words to me.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
i hate mine too...
because he does the same thing as yasaman father does
|

replied April 11th, 2012
but one day they will understand
|

replied April 11th, 2012
I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. I want you to know that I understand how difficult relationships with parents can be at times. It is obvious that you are feeling hurt and frustrated because it’s hard to relate to your dad, and just wanted to give some suggestions about it. 1) Spend some time creating a journal, telling God all that has happened and how you feel about it (2) Apologize in writing to those you have offended. It’s often easier to express yourself clearly this way. (3) Allow for a “cooling off” period. Feelings often lessens as time goes by. (4) Pray for your relationships, asking to show you appropriate ways to deal with particular situations that regularly make you feel upset. In addition, if you haven’t already done so, you may want to talk to your parents about your struggles. I'm with Focus on the Family and I thought you might interested to know that you could also share how you feel with one of their counselors. These people will probably have some valuable advice to share, and they would happy to chat with about this particular issue, at no cost. Their phone number is 1-855-771-HELP (4357).
|