Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Why am I so badly bloated from a small hiatus hernia?

User Profile
I was told I had a small hiatus hernia about 2 years ago.
I never get any pain , but I get massive bloating an inch below the breastbone /solar plexus. Ive had occasional palpitations and some crazy panic attacks because I felt that full I thought I would pass out.
I cant fully reach the wind to burp it out , and it takes about 5 or 6 hours to pass through to a more comfortable place.
I went to a & e. The doctor there told me to double up on lanzoprazole. He assured me it would definitely work. It hasnt. I called a doctor out to my house. She said it was indigestion and prescribed calpermin , which dont work either.
Im drinking camomile tea , peppermint tea , fennel tea , eating fennel seeds , motilium , lanzoprazole. I cant sleep at night anymore. Im thinking my life is over because I cant do anything anything anymore , and im tired of doctors fobbing me off with generic explanations and telling me to try something which doesnt work.
Why am I so badly bloated and how do I stop it ?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2013
Hernia Answer A45119
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Excess of gas, reflux and acidity can be due to your diet habits: what you eat, timing etc. It can also be due to gastric ulcers and excess acid production. Another possibility is an inflammatory bowel condition (Crohn’s, IBS, celiac, ulcerative colitis). Food intolerance is another possibility. So, you need to consult a doctor and rule these out one by one.

Diabetes can cause slowing of gut and can cause bloating and hence get your blood sugar tested. It can also be due to excess consumption of food rich in sulfites like juices, molasses, yellow dye in ready made food stuffs, and red wine. Sulfites are present in lesser amounts in mashed potatoes made from dry powder, pickles, tinned shrimp, cookies, crackers, and readymade pie dough. Constipation can also cause bloating. Very sedentary lifestyle is another cause.

Cancers of the gut (intestines, stomach, colon, rectum) and in female ovarian cancer too could be a cause. You could also be having polycystic disease of the ovary. If you are in premenopausal age group, then this is a time of hormonal changes in the body. This can decrease the movement of bowel and cause constipation and gas. This could be the cause of bloatedness. Please consult a gynecologist regarding this. Some women benefit by hormone replacement therapy.

Life style changes that will help include: Drink cold milk. Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Take a late night snack. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.