Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Who should I tell first about my Eating disorder?

User Profile
About six years ago, I started purging to lose weight. I had been dieting for awhile after having two kids and I had hit a point where I was not losing weight no matter how much I exercised. This is not my first experience with an eating disorder. Before I was married I abused laxatives. I was able to stop doing that because I had told my husband my problem and I couldn't hide it from him -- we only have one bathroom. I thought I could stop purging once I lost the weight, but like I said it has been 6 years. I recently discovered I have high blood pressure and am being treated. I believe it is related to my eating disorder, but it is not a red flag to anyone because of a family history of high BP.

I go back to my doctor next week to discuss my other lab results that show low iron saturation and vitamin D deficiency. Should I tell her about my eating disorder? I purge very little now, but I know the years of purging have left a toll on my body. I have frequent episodes of being lightheaded, even waking up at night feeling lightheaded. I run 15-20 miles per week and my health is making it hard to increase my mileage or run faster. I don't think I can tell my husband about my problem right now. He likes things to be very logical, and eating disorders are not logical.

Another person I thought about telling is the school nurse where I work. I respect her a lot and she has helped me with my blood pressure. I don't know who I should tell, but I know telling would make the problem more real and easier to stop. Telling about my laxative abuse helped me stop that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper HealthGuru00
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi hurtinginside and welcome to ehealth: My best advice is for you to join a group that deals with this sort of problem...Call your local hospital as they should be able to put you in touch with people who have this problem...You may also want to tell your doctor and the school nurse...IMO, the more people who know, the more who can watch over you and take an active part in your recovery...Possibly one of them knows of a group who may help you.....

This problem that you have will never go away...By this I mean that you will always fight yourself...It's seeded and the slightest inclination can make you look for an excuse to purge...This is something you must learn to fight...Get rid of the laxative...Yes, the high blood pressure is a result of this and look for some rotting teeth as well as some acid reflux along the way...These are all gifts of this habit that we can pick up so easily....

You are the person in charge of your body....You alone hold the keys to stopping it...It will not be easy so be ready for a tough fight.....I wish you well...Take care...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2011
i advise telling your best friend or mum/dad they can help you get through it and will make it heeps easier also carolineEF is right about goung to a group. Also the school nurse sounds like a good option cause by law she can not tell anyone (doctor patient confidentiality)
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2011
CarolineEF -- thanks for the advice. I don't think I will look into a group. I did one years ago an it did help, but I don't feel it is something I can do at this time. I have two kids and a job that take up most of my time. I feel I should tell my doctor in case there are any other health concerns I want her to know enough of my health history to treat anything that comes up. I know telling people can help keep me from falling in bad habits. I purge very little now because I am so busy working, but I feel the urge everytime my stomach is a little too full. I don't know if I can tell the school nurse -- she is mainly there for the kids when they get sick, but I think I could go to her if anything happened while I was at work. And since I get lightheaded a lot it would be nice if someone knows why this is probably happening.

Dilila124 -- I don't have any really close friends I can talk to. I have a couple of friends at church and work but not I feel comfortable talking about this with. I can't tell my parents. They are older and have their own health concerns.

I think what makes this so hard is I am the person everyone thinks is strong and has my life together. I have so many things to be thankful for -- a loving husband three wonderful kids, a beautiful new grandbaby, and a great job. I wrestle with why I continue negative behaviors when I have so many great things in my life.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2011
Even though everyone thinks your strong and have everything under controll doesnt mean you do or have to. My parents broke up when i was 10 and it was quite messy. I told some people that i was very upset and didnt know what to do and it was much easier to handle, but my older brother held it in and tryed to make out that he was fine. It didnt work and he ended up a very depressed kid, untill he got a scycologist. Maybe you just need to get it out, that might help.
|

replied March 18th, 2011
What you're describing is a HEALTH ISSUE> The only person you should tell is your doctor. Your habits are likely to be very unhealthy in a lot of different ways -- your doctor knows the short-term and long-term effects of your behavior on your health. The doctor can help you maximize your health.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....