Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

White pustules in pubic area

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I have white pustules in my pubic area with slight itching. It started with tiny bumps but now they have multiplied and grew in size with a white substance in them. What is it and how do I get rid of it? I have seen my family physician and she has assured me that they are not STD's. She referred me to my GYN but quite frankly in this economy getting time off from work is real tough.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2010
Sexual Health - Women Answer A10202

Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out. From the description of the symptoms, the possibility of folliculitis seems high. Folliculitis is probably the most common of all skin infections. Although usually trivial, it can produce extensive disease. It may be superficial or deep, and it causes the formation of a pustule or inflammatory nodule surrounding the hair. In the majority of the patients, it heals itself without any intervention and only washing with anti-septic soap is sufficient. However, local application of an anti-bacterial ointment can facilitate the faster recovery. Some patients who have extensive disease need oral antibiotics for the same. Please do consult a dermatologist.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.