Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

white dry looking stuff. a yeast infection or just chafing?

User Profile
I am experiecing a white dry looking stuff on the head of my penis, it is a little itchy/irritated has no weird odour or any other symptoms so far besides being slight itchy/irritated. I was wondering if this isna yeast infection or just chafing?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2014
Penis Answer A48206
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

From the symptoms that you have mentioned there is a possibility that it an be balanitis of the penis which is an inflammation of the foreskin and head of the penis. It can be due to infection especially fungal infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.

You should consult your primary care doctor and get a culture swab and a KOH examination of the skin of the penis done to rule out any infection.

Till that time, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Wear cotton clothes and use as mild soap like Cetaphil for cleaning the penis. You can also use some topical antimicrobials like Neosporin after consulting your doctor.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.