Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

White Blood Cell count was low....

User Profile
hello, i had some routine blood work done with my physical last week. I spoke to a nurse from my doctors office over the phone today regarding the results. everything was normal. she did say that the doctor wanted to see me again in 3 months because my White Blood Cell count was low.... (384)they like to see 450-1000. i'm freaked out because of a risky experience from June of 2010. I had a PCR at 2 months.... HIV Negative and then an ELISA antibody test at 6 1/2 months....also HIV Negative. I still feel uneasy about it. The nurse said that low WBC usually means there is an illness and asked me how i feel. Well i feel fine....or at least I did before that conversation. my questions are:

1) If i did contract HIV back in June 2010 would it have decreased my white blood cell count to 384 in 8 months?

2) what are the chances of both test being wrong??

3) is 384 really that low?

4) what other reason could lower my WBC count as I do feel fine. Stress?? Been LOTS of that lately!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A19720
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

Since both your tests including the PCR and the ELISA have been negative, you are HIV negative, and the tests are conclusive. There is no chances of the test being wrong.

The threshold for a low white blood cell count varies from one medical practice to another. A count lower than 3,500 white blood cells per microliter of blood is generally considered a low white blood cell count. Since yours was probably 3840, your counts are not that severe enough to cause panic.

For your information, some benign causes of leucopenia include: Aplastic anemia, Certain medications, Hypersplenism, Hyperthyroidism, infections (flu, etc) and Vitamin deficiencies

You might consider to consult your treating doctor for a physical and proper therapy.

I hope this helps

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.